SP Weekly: Concussion detection study with ASU football

Week of October 21 | Concussion Detection Study

Produced by Courtland Jeffrey Reporter Meg Krivanec Edited by Courtland Jeffrey, Daniel Santa Cruz Camera Daniel Santa Cruz Executive Producer Erin O’Connor

ASU's football program has partnered with Riddell and Translational Genomics Research Institute in a study that aims to develop improved ways of detecting and treating concussions.

The goal of ASU, Riddell and TGen's study is to find a way to use the biomarkers found in blood, urine, and saliva to detect concussions before they happen and provide information that will lead to better treatment. The study uses the Riddell Sideline Response System, which is located inside the players' helmets, after every game and practice.

The study is recording the number of hits to the players' heads, as well as where and how hard they were hit. The researchers collect samples from the players each week so they can see how their molecular information changes. Everyone involved in the collaborative study hope that the results from this study can make the popular sport a bit safer for the players.

×