Top 5 accounts to help guys ease into Pinterest

Pinterest, the place (almost literally) of dreams, is often overused by women and misunderstood by men.

The popular social media site and application has boomed with success since 2009, which is probably partially due to late-night food cravings and daydreams about an ideal life — and, of course, women.

Web information company Alexa shows that Pinterest’s main demographic is women, stating that the site has an “overrepresentation” of female users. So, does this mean it’s only a site for women? Not necessarily. Originally founded by three men — Paul Sciarra, Evan Sharp and Ben Silbermann — Pinterest was meant to be a virtual bucket for all the things you could find and wanted to remember on the Internet.

So, why are men so uninvolved in Pinterest? Well, the site’s home feed may explain why. The flurry of Taylor Swift quotes and DIY crafting projects may leave a guy feeling like he’s in the wrong place. For men to integrate themselves into the site they need a good starting point. Or, maybe a few good starting points:

"Mike D"

"Mike D" claims a spot as one of the most followed pinners, with upwards of three million followers — and it’s easy to see why. The "It’s the Joint" blogger has 27 boards ranging from typography to menswear to hearty diner food. Some of his most "pinned" boards are "Stuffology," which is filled with camping gear, furniture and knick-knacks, an architecture board called "Bricks Mortar Steel Glass" and his "Sustenance" board full of french fries, steak and allover amazing food. There’s even a waffle sandwich somewhere in there.

"Men’s Health"

Pinterest contains a plethora of information on women’s health and fitness, but for obvious reasons, is lacking when it comes to men's issues. This is where the "Men’s Health" Pinterest comes in. There are numerous boards full of workouts and healthy recipes, but they go beyond just health and fitness and also deliver on men’s fashion. There's even a board explaining popular male celebrity fashion, and boards with gift ideas for a significant other.

"Andrew ‘Oyl’ Miller"

Right away, it’s evident that "Andrew ‘Oyl’ Miller" has a deep love of sports. Of his 48 boards, 10 are sports-related, and they are some of his most frequently pinned-to boards. Other than sports, Andrew, who is an artist himself, has other boards dedicated to typography and modern and contemporary art, including some of his own work.

"Nathan Strange"

For fans of everything country, there is "Nathan Strange." The Austin native has developed a following of over one million with his country-themed boards. For example, one board is dedicated solely to impressive facial hair, another to flat-out manliness. On top of that, he’s pinned plenty of southern comfort recipes, vintage typography and amazing movie posters.

"Drew Hawkins"

"Drew Hawkins" has a Pinterest board for almost everyone. Are you an avid fan of the show "Arrested Development"? Then you should definitely visit "Bluth Family Traditions." Are you looking for office organization ideas? Then "Office Space" is just for you. If you’re a technology, coffee or even Tom Hanks enthusiast, there are boards for those. Even if you’re looking for something like a picture of a man getting his faced shaved with an axe, or anything having to do with bacon, it's most likely on Hawkins' most pinned-to board, the "Board of Man."

Now, these "pinners" aren't strictly for men, because anyone can follow and enjoy them. These are just a few pinners with boards that have a definite lack of the pumpkin recipes and pink, pretty things that normally drive the general male population away from Pinterest.

Reach this reporter at mefinley@asu.edu or follow her on Twitter @mollyEfinley

×