Bravo to ASU football for clinching a spot in the Pac-12 championship and a possible spot in the Rose Bowl this year.

Boo to a Politico magazine feature published on Nov. 21 that calls first lady Michelle Obama a "feminist nightmare" and criticizes her for not "shattering" the "conventional First Lady mold."

Bravo to Colorado's new, colorful ads for the Affordable Care Act, also known as "Obamacare," that specifically cater to different demographics in a entertaining way. From "Brosurance" to "Mamacare," these advertisements make insurance fun. Boo to Sunday’s tie between the Minnesota Vikings and the Green Bay Packers. Football is the most popular sport in the country and a tie between two teams is ridiculous. There were 77,871 people at Lambeau Field that went home disappointed after the most anti-climatic ending to a sports game imaginable. Bravo to "The Hunger Games: Catching Fire," which opened in U.S. theaters on Nov. 22. The second film in The Hunger Games series was thrilling, better than its predecessor and faithful to the book.

Boo to the UA and ASU vandalization attempts. UA's came a week early and ASU's was half-hearted. We appreciate a good rivalry, but the least we can do is get it right. Bravo to the anti-poverty group Oxfam, which is putting pressure on Pepsi to investigate its land use and whether its sugar suppliers are unfairly taking land from the poor. In a campaign called "Behind the Brands" the group is hoping to force other big food and drink companies to treat workers and communities ethically and to protect the environment.

Boo to Arizona Child Protective Services for failing to look into 6,000 reports of abuse and neglect that have been reported to the agency in the past four years. Department of Economic Security Director Clarence Carter said they will look into the error and the reports.

Bravo to the city of Phoenix for earning a perfect score on the Human Rights Campaign Municipal Equality Index. Phoenix, which received a 70 last year, is one of 25 cities in the U.S. to get 100 points in the index. In February, Mayor Greg Stanton led a sweeping anti-discrimination ordinance to protect the LGBTQ and disabled communities. Boo to the effects of this weekend's torrential rain. While any water in our arid desert is a good thing, the downpour canceled arts festivals, postponed high school football playoffs until Monday and Tuesday and may have contributed to the death of a Tour de Tucson rider.

Boo-ravo to the most loved and hated days of the year: Black Friday. Boo to the commercial holiday and its ability to turn normal, nice people into savage beasts who have lost touch with humanity all in the name of a discounted television. But bravo to the Alternative Black Friday Vintage Market, which will resemble a Parisian flea market. The event takes places 10 a.m. Friday morning at CityScape in downtown Phoenix and will feature more than 20 local vendors, half-price ice skating and mimosa brunch.

Want to join the conversation? Send an email toopiniondesk.statepress@gmail.com. Keep letters under 300 words and be sure to include your university affiliation. Anonymity will not be granted.

×