Catching Fire ignites with 'The Hunger Games' sequel

4/5 Pitchforks

"The Hunger Games: Catching Fire" is a rarity in film. Indeed the stakes have been raised since the first installment of the big screen adaptation of Suzanne Collins’ book hit theaters in March of 2012, and new characters are introduced to the expansive universe.

Director Francis Lawrence ("I Am Legend") managed to make a film that tops its predecessor, surpassing all expectations and managing to avoid falling into the category of lazy sequels. In that sense, Catching Fire is an absolute success.

The second installment of the series finds Katniss (Jennifer Lawrence) and Peeta (Josh Hutcherson) preparing to embark on their victory tour, celebrating their win of the 74th annual Hunger Games. However, due to the defiant nature of their win, things are beginning to change all around the 12 districts of Panem.

The two Victors are symbols of a revolution, a fact that is not unknown to those in power in the Capitol. As such, President Snow (Donald Sutherland) decides to make examples of Katniss and Peeta by placing them in the pool of possible Tributes to be chosen for the third Quarter Quell, the special games played once every quarter century.

Structurally, the film has three very distinct acts. The first features the Victors on their tour of the districts, the second features the training and all of the pre-game drama and the third act features the games themselves. It’s a fairly sound structure, but the biggest problem is that things tend to get a bit repetitive.

We’ve seen the individual scoring sessions, the interviews with Caesar Flickerman (Stanley Tucci) and so on. While all of it is entertaining and propels the story forward, it feels as if we’ve seen it before — because we have.

The action in the games feels a bit formulaic as well, once again because we’ve seen in the first installment how they work. However, the stakes are higher, the dangers more evident and absurd and the tributes are more colorful. All of these make for a refreshing experience.

Perhaps more so than the first film, the world of Panem’s science fiction elements like hovercrafts and forcefields are featured, giving viewers a more inclusive look into the character's world. Although these elements mainly serve to build atmosphere, they are used effectively.

In all, the action is by far more expansive than the first film, giving audiences more to invest in.

One thing that both film installments get right is the casting. Not only are Lawrence and Hutcherson superbly cast, but the supporting cast is also spectacular. Tucci once again nails Flickerman’s over-excited and slightly obnoxious personality, Elizabeth Jones is perfect as the absolutely bizarre Effie Trinket, Donald Sutherland is menacing-as-ever as President Snow and newcomer Phillip Seymour Hoffman is perfect as the sleazy and maniacal Head Games Maker, Plutarch Heavensbee.

Also joining the cast as tributes are Jeffrey Wright ("Casino Royale") and Jena Malone ("Suckerpunch"). Both characters are key players, though we don’t get to really get to know them other than through some backstory. Overall, Wright and Malone are great at making their Tributes relatable.

Perhaps the most surprising aspect is the level of tension the film manages to build. Although most of the key action occurs in the arena, the most intense scenes occur outside of the arena. Conversations between Snow and Heavensbee about exterminating Katniss and making an example of her in order to end the rebellions are absolutely horrific and make the arena action much more intense.

Fans who know what happens next will still find themselves on the edge of their seat in anticipation due to the strong script by Simon Beaufoy ("Slumdog Millionaire") and Michael Arndt ("Toy Story 3"). Anytime a screenwriter can make an existing story as exciting as Beaufoy and Arndt have done here is pretty miraculous, and the two writers have done a magnificent job at making familiar territory feel new.

At the end of the day, Catching Fire probably won't win over anyone not already sold on the series, but it should keep anyone already invested on the edge of their seat. Not only that, but the film manages to become something most blockbusters fall far short of: a smart sequel that surpasses its predecessor.

Reach the reporter at seweinst@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @s_weinstein95

×