Devil Dish: Let the Boston Red Sox have this World Series

With the Red Sox’s World Series victory Monday, I think it’s safe to call Boston a title town.

Since the turn of the century, the city of Boston has eight world championships across the four major sports.

Some fans of other teams, jealous of Boston's success, have struggled to come to terms with another championship in beantown.

But have we already forgotten the tragedy that struck at the Boston Marathon just this April? And what about the Newtown shootings last December?

Yes, the Bruins gave the Blackhawks a run for their money in the Stanley Cup Finals, nearly earning Boston a title. But, either because they didn’t win, or because it was hockey, the run didn’t seem to unify the city of Boston like this World Series has.

Now, I’m not saying that every city that endures a tragedy deserves to win a world championship.

But in the wake of these tragic events, I can’t stand to hear about how Boston “doesn’t need another World Series.”

Personally, I’m glad that Boston won, and I’m even happier it was at Fenway.

So to all the Yankees fans, Boston haters and dynasty haters, let Boston have this one.

Reach the reporter at bmargiot@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @BenMargiott

×