There have been frequent guarantees that tuition at ASU would only see a slight increase, but there’s been little concerted effort, or at least it’s not been well publicized, to really keep tuition down.

According to a report from the College Board, “in-state tuition and fees in Arizona increased 70 percent when adjusted for inflation from academic year 2008-09 to 2013-14," compared to a national average of 27 percent.

If the trend continues (and it will), take advantage of some life hacks to assuage your financial woes so you can actually afford tuition.

Many restaurants around campus offer e-newsletters: Sign up for as many of these as you can, and you might get some free food out of it. Oliveo Grill offers free pita bread when you sign up. For joining Raising Cane’s Caniac Club, you get a free Box Combo. You can also sign up at IHOP, but you won’t get any free or discounted meals right away (you’ll have to wait a year after signing up).

Many businesses offer frequent buyer cards: Buy 10 drinks at Dutch Bros. Coffee, and you’ll get a free one, or buy a certain amount of frozen yogurt from Yogurtini and “treat yo’self” to some free fro-yo.

If you’re looking to make a bank account balance stretch out AND stay full, spring for a loaf of bread and some peanut butter — or hit up Food City for cheap fruits and veggies to ward off scurvy.

If you’re in the mood for some faux Mexican food, order a vegetarian burrito at Chipotle and get free guacamole or get tacos for slightly cheaper than the behemoth burritos.

For your everyday non-edible needs, the Student Book Center offers free green books for taking essay tests.

Goodwill offers 50 percent off all merchandise every other Saturday and 50 percent off “special colortag items” on most days.

If you’re looking to nurture your soul and get some exercise, try Yoga To the People, which offers yoga classes for a “suggested donation” of $10 (if you’re willing to spend money on a gym contract, maybe consider giving back by giving just a little more).

If you’re younger than 19, you can get a free bus pass from the city of Tempe. ASU’s Bike Co-Op offers free flat repairs and tune-ups. ASU also offers intercampus shuttles that are comfortable, have Wi-Fi and are completely free.

You can also check out Culture Passes at ASU libraries or other local libraries around the city, which give you access to museums around the Valley, including the Arizona Science Center, Phoenix Art Museum, Phoenix Zoo, Arizona Historical Society Museum and the Pueblo Grande Museum.

You might be tempted to take advantage of the Phoenix Art Museum’s free admission during First Friday, but it will most likely be overcrowded — a problem you’ll encounter more or less anywhere you go in central Phoenix on First Fridays.

Tuition may be ridiculously high, but as God is your witness, at least you’ll never have to pay for pita bread again.

×