Eye Candy: Geographer Concert

Photo by Victoria Smith.
Photo by Victoria Smith.

Photo by Bill Ellison. Photo by Bill Ellison.

Author’s Note: On January 29 2013, a few of my closest friends and I went to the Geographer concert at the Rhythm room. Now that they’re coming back this week, I thought I’d review one of my all-time favorite concerts so you guys could get the chance to see them live. Get tickets here to see Geographer at The Crescent Ballroom on November 20!

Music, like food, is yet another branch of creative expression. As I said in my very first post, art is subjective. Art can be anything that inspires, delights or even entertains its viewers. Thus, delving into the creativity of different bands and their usage of various and even unusual instruments conveys just how influential the art form of music has on popular culture. Without further ado, here is my review of the fantastic, January Geographer concert:

Waiting in a line full of flannel-clad kids wearing colored jeans, I was shocked at how small the building was. The Rhythm Room has to be one of, if not the, smallest concert venue in Arizona. No larger than a dorm common room, I was admittedly a little worried about the concert.

After flashing our IDs and tickets, we squeezed in - some kids filing onto the patio in order to get a little breathing room and smoke e-cigarettes. Being the small girls we are, my friends and I managed to maneuver our way to the front right-hand corner directly next to the stage.

One of the opening bands, Bogan Via, took the stage first. Listening to their EP, “Wait Up,” a few days after the show, I actually really liked them. Even though their live performance kind of flopped. There were some technical difficulties and the musical duo just didn’t seem like they were in sync that evening.

Photo by Victoria Smith. Photo by Victoria Smith.

Next up was On an On, a new band whose EP “Give In,” was being released for the first time that same evening. With heavy synth, echo-y voices and a steady percussion, On an On was the perfect opening act. Their songs, “Ghosts,” “Hunter” and “Every Song” got the entire crowd dancing, excited for Geographer to take the stage. I even bought their CD after the show and it remains in my car to this day.

After what seemed like ages, the three members of Geographer stepped onstage. Lead singer Michael Deni played guitar and sometimes plucked a few melodies on the synthesizer, Nathan Blaz rocked out on his cello and Brian Ostreicher pulled every song together on the drums.

If the venue was any larger, the crowd would’ve missed out on Deni’s awesome aura onstage. He jumped from instrument to instrument, climbed over speakers and walked around in the crowded audience every couple songs. (He even grabbed onto one of my friends’ hands.) Plus, the group set up a projector in front of the stage that flashed colored lights and images. Creating a mesmerizing, kaleidoscope-like effect, the images perfectly synched up with their audio, creating an artistic performance unlike any other.

Their latest album is “Myth.” Songs like “Kites,” “Verona,” “Kaleidoscope” and “Life of Crime,” are some of my favorites - and they played every single one. Simply put, Geographer has to be one of my favorite bands. They’re fun, light, easy to dance to, and their live atmosphere makes even the most awkward concert-goer cut loose. If you can make it this Wednesday night at the Crescent Ballroom, go. Geographer’s artistry is not something you want to miss.

Contact me at adersch@asu.edu or @AlexDersch with questions, suggestions or comments. The more communication I get from you the better Eye Candy will be. Thank you!

×