James Blunt's 'Moon Landing' is a bit bland, but mostly a success

British singer/songwriter James Blunt came to fame in 2005 after the release of his debut album, "Back to Bedlam," and the rise of his single, "You’re Beautiful," on the U.S. charts. He later released two more albums before taking a hiatus and now returns on a good note with his fourth release, "Moon Landing."

Album opener, "Face the Sun," starts out very mellow and soothing. This song works well with Blunt’s soft, higher pitched voice and plays very much to Coldplay fans.

The next song of interest, "Satellites," starts out a bit cheesy. However, it morphs into something upbeat and energizing. Speaking to what many of us deal with today, it tells a story of a girl getting bogged down in society and how important it is to put these things aside and really enjoy life. A mix between the styles of The Lumineers and Sara Bareilles, the track combines folkiness with a feel-good tune.

"Bonfire Heart" is more of a generic uplifting song, and we’ve all heard it before. It has a more romantic quality than "Satellites" but lacks the musically interesting qualities that makes the it great. The following track, "Heart to Heart," has a similar forgetfulness. Both are pleasing to hear, but neither will be begging for a second listen.

"Miss America" takes a deeper turn, depicting the fall into alcoholism and the ways we avoid admitting that someone we love is struggling. This song utilizes a rockier element, and Blunt finds a way of combining a more rugged sound with darker lyrics without falling too deep into a specific story and coming off as corny.

"Sun on Sunday" is softer, slower track of just Blunt’s voice and piano. It tells about a relationship nearing its end and the regrets that ensue in the process. While it is a beautiful song, you may find it to be a bit too sad and slow for your taste.

All together, the album has a wide range and hits on many different points. Even though a few of the tracks are somewhat bland, Blunt succeeds for the most part in incorporating different styles in his work.

Reach the reporter at mefinley@asu.edu or follow her on Twitter @mollyEfinley

×