Literally Speaking: Literature for the World

Categorized as one of the most intense storms on the planet, Typhoon Haiyan crossed various Pacific islands before making its catastrophic landfall in the Philippines. Typhoon Yolanda, as Haiyan is called in the Philippines, greatly impacted the major islands of Leyte and Samar, as well as Northern Cebu, and various other smaller islands.

While Filipinos have experienced typhoons in the past, none compared to this. I've heard some of the horror stories: a son coming to America just months before the storm, racked with guilt as his parents and younger brother are washed away in the Typhoon's waves; entire families separated. These are not moments only experienced by Filipinos in this one event. These terrors are often the results of natural disasters around the globe and across time.

In 2011, an online auction called "Authors for Queensland" was created to raise money for the Queensland Flood Appeal. It later influenced the "Authors for Japan" auction following the massive 2011 tsunami in Japan. This time around, "Authors for the Philippines" is trying to raise money to help in the Philippines.

Not only are there books for auction, there are services like editing, mentoring, writing courses, and other literary events. Original illustrations are being auctioned, as well as manuscript critiques. They are offering the opportunity to meet some of your favorite authors such as Anthony McGowan and Andy Stanton. The funds raised by the bidding on these special literary talents and treasures, goes to the British Red Cross.

With various types of aid going to these causes, there is constant controversy as to whether or not the money actually gets to where it needs to go. There are criticisms of non-governmental organizations and their processing fees when it comes to donations.

But what is most astounding and fascinating to me is the concept of literary auctions for these causes. Writers constantly collaborate on books, and participate in massive book fair events together. The idea of a humanitarian effort headed by authors, is magic.

There is more to literature than just the books, the poetry, the screenplays — it's also deep passion and an immense connection with society.

While the Philippines was not the only area affected by the storm, this is a cause close to my heart because of my family's Filipino background. The concept of "Authors for the Philippines" empowers me in my belief that literature contributes to society — its past, present, and future. Not only are these events being written, but authors, writers and editors can help to raise money for important international causes.

Writers can make an impact.

If you feel so inclined, you can participate in the "Authors for the Philippines" auction until Wednesday, November 20, 2013.

You can reach me at arabusa@asu.edu or on Twitter, @marie_eo.

×