The pope wants to end modern forms of slavery.

That’s what the Vatican recently announced, and it’s why “experts” met with him to discuss other global problems of that nature.

Ironic isn’t it? In 1452, Pope Nicholas V issued the “Dum Diversas” papal bull which many consider to be one of the first stepping stones to the coming age of imperialism and industry of the slave trade.

Church history aside, however, tackling these problems is a monumental task for Pope Francis.

Among the many forms of global injustices, two institutions the pope defines as “slavery” stand out to me: prostitution and drug trafficking.

Back in May, Pope Francis tweeted some controversial things about profit.

But his thoughts are not limited to social media sites: He has also publicly defended the concept of social justice.

Yes, the Vatican has recently been immensely critical of unregulated capitalism.

Such opinions have monumental implications.

What if someone asked the pope this: OK, how do we stop prostitution and how do we stop drug trafficking?

I’m not sure what the pope would say, but my guess is that his answer would not address what I feel is the nature of both the problem and the falsities behind the pope’s theory of a religious-based “social justice.”

So what are these injustices?

They’re businesses.

Prostitution is a business. Drug trafficking is a business. They’re illegal because governments make them illegal.

Morality aside, these industries — despite the cruel hardships they bring to those who choose to participate in them — provide individuals with some form of profit.

I am not in any way suggesting that I hope prostitution, as an industry, becomes even more successful. I’m suggesting that the pope’s real beef is with the concept of profit, in particular, its relationship with social justice.

Profit is not evil. It’s useful. Likewise, the free market is not evil. It’s a way in which individuals are able to purchase and exchange goods and services.

Social justice is a way in which bureaucrats try and artificially level the economic playing field. As a concept it sounds nice, but in practice, it damages all aspects of society.

What the pope doesn’t seem to understand is that capitalism alleviates poverty.

It’s not the pope’s duty to lecture governments about economics, but if he thinks it is his duty, then he should be promoting capitalism and not demonizing it.

We have it backwards: Raising the minimum wage won’t level the social playing field just like more market intervention won’t help economic conditions.

Sure, Christian socialists have existed, and yes, they have preached forms of social justice.

But the pope is critically overstepping his grounds. Why not let the free market flourish and focus on spirituality?

Perhaps he has forgotten that the Vatican is also a business. Maybe it’s just me, but I have no desire to give my money to a business that preaches social justice yet is involved in scandal after scandal after scandal.

Reach this columnist at spmccaul@asu.edu or follow him on twitter at @sean_mccauley.

×