Tempe Police: Man conceals handgun in car

Tempe Police reported the following incidents Monday:

A 20-year-old Scottsdale man was arrested Oct. 25 on the 5200 block of South Rural Road on suspicion of carrying a concealed weapon without a permit, drug paraphernalia possession and being a fugitive from justice, according to a police report.

Police originally contacted the man at a Circle K while responding to a call of someone soliciting money, the report said.

Officers talked to the man while he was standing right outside his Jeep, according to the report.

Police ran a background check and reported that the man had an outstanding warrant for failing to appear on a dangerous drug charge.

A K-9 unit alerted police to the glove department, according to police.

Police asked the man if he had any weapons in the vehicle, and he told them he didn't, the report said.

During a search of the car, police found a spoon commonly used to cook heroin, as well as a loaded Cobra Enterprises handgun.

He was taken to Tempe City Jail and held to see a judge, according to the report.

A 20-year-old Chandler man was arrested Oct. 27 at South Mill Avenue and West Third Street on suspicion of marijuana and drug paraphernalia possession, according to a police report.

The man was contacted by police after an officer could smell marijuana coming from his car, the report said.

When asked, the man said he had smoked marijuana in the car but denied that he had any in his possession, police reported.

The officer searched the car and found a blue tin container that had four “buds” of marijuana and a razor blade in the center console, according to police.

He was booked into Tempe City Jail and released pending charges, according to police.

Reports compiled by Mark Remillard.

Reach the reporter at mark.remillard@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @markjremillard

×