Devil Dish: There is never a dull moment in MLB

Baseball was nuts on Tuesday.

It’s football season, it’s hockey season, it’s basketball season, it’s almost bowl season in college football, but my favorite news this week came on the diamond.

Or more specifically, off of it.

Baseball, more so than any other sport, is divided into four seasons: preseason, regular season, postseason and the offseason.

In no other sport can offseason news captivate a sport in the offseason the way that baseball does.

Former Yankee Curtis Granderson was wined and dined by the cross-town Mets. A bad Marlins team signed a good catcher in Jarrod Saltalamacchia. Somebody actually wants Heath Bell, and he was traded from the Diamondbacks to the Rays.

The Oakland A’s kept doing Oakland A’s things and quietly made their team dominant. Joe Nathan and AJ Pierzynski, once traded for each other, signed free agent contracts with the Tigers and Red Sox, respectively (the teams that played for the American League Championship last year).

And to top it off, former Red Sox center fielder Jacoby Ellsbury signed for $153 million with the New York Yankees.

Baseball season never ends, and it’s days like Dec. 3 that prove it.

Reach the reporter at justin.emerson@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @J15Emerson

×