Literally Speaking: New Changing Hands Bookstore Location

Growing up, I went to middle school and high school in the North/Central Phoenix area and I've come to know the ins and outs of the places along Central Avenue. I used to walk down that road with my best friend, before the light rail was constructed and before Dutch Bros. Coffee became a staple.

If you go up Central Ave. to Camelback Road, and follow it west for about a quarter of a mile, you'll see a huge, rustic, brown sign that reads "Beef Eaters." Before shutting down in 2006, it was open for parties and general delicious food experiences.

The building has been sitting vacant for years, a kind reminder of what North Phoenix used to be.

Enter Changing Hands bookstore.

In Tempe, Changing Hands has been a major contributor to the fabric of arts and culture. Now, it is extending its reach to Phoenix — an exciting endeavor!

It is time to start a new chapter in North Phoenix. While the memory of Beef Eaters will always remain, I think the placement of Changing Hands in that area will help to enhance the literary landscape of the city.

If you'd like to participate in making this bookstore a reality, you can donate to the Frank N' Moby Build a Bookstore project here!

By donating, you have the opportunity to participate in an incredible literary endeavor for the greater Phoenix area. At the same time, you have the opportunity to receive some amazing perks (and just in time for the holidays!).

What do you think about the new Changing Hands bookstore coming to Phoenix?

You can contact me at arabusa@asu.edu, or on Twitter @marie_eo.

×