Tempe Police: Man tries to steal bike from Ironman Triathlon

Tempe Police reported the following incidents Monday:

A 28-year-old Phoenix man was arrested Nov. 17 on the 80 block of West Rio Salado Parkway on suspicion of theft, according to a police report.

An investigation revealed the man entered a temporarily fenced area at the Tempe Beach Park during the Ironman Triathlon, the report said.

Inside, the man attempted to steal a Trek bike worth $8,000, police reported.

The bike was in area secured by a 3-foot metal fence and zip ties were used to secure the sections of the fence together, the report said.

The man separated two portions of the fence, grabbed a bike and walked away, police said.

An employee of the company TriBike, which was responsible for transporting the athlete’s bike to and from the event, saw the man leaving with the bike and called security, according to police.

Police said security then detained the man until police arrived and the man denied trying to steal the bike.

Police reported the man had wire cutters, gloves and a flashlight on him at the time of the arrest.

The man was transported to Tempe City Jail where he was booked, the report said.

A 19-year-old Tempe man was arrested Nov. 18 on the 6100 block of South Parkside Drive on suspicion of burglary, criminal damage, being a minor in consumption of alcohol and criminal trespassing, according to a police report.

Police were called to a residence on Parkside Drive after the occupant heard someone opening the back door, the report said.

The occupant saw the man trying to get inside the residence, but he was unable and then walked around the front to try and get in through the front door, police reported.

After he was again unsuccessful in entering the residence, the occupant saw the man move on to the house next door, the report said.

When police arrived, they reported finding the man inside a vehicle in the driveway of a house near where the occupant saw the man attempting to get inside her house.

The man matched the description given to police and they said he told them he did not live at the house.

The man told officers he had been drinking earlier and that he had nothing better to do than to be out doing “stupid stuff,” the report said.

Officers searched the man and they reported finding 21 CDs, a bottle of cologne and $6 that belonged to the vehicle he was found in, police said.

Police also reported the man had ripped off the motion detector lights of a house he had previously tried to get into causing about $200 in damage.

He was transported to Tempe City Jail, where he was booked and held to see a judge, the report said.

Reports compiled by Mark Remillard.

Reach the reporter at mark.remillard@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @markjremillard

×