Stan 'The Man' Musial: Remembering the one-year anniversary of his death

This week marks the one-year anniversary of the death of a legend. A baseball legend, that is. On Jan. 19, 2013, Stan “The Man” Musial died at the age of 92.

Musial earned seven National League batting titles, three MVP awards, three World Series championships and was voted into 24 All-Star games in his career, all with the St. Louis Cardinals.

Being from St. Louis, Musial is a household name for me. But I don’t think the respect and love for him stops in St. Louis. Former Cardinals manager Whitey Herzog once said, “Everybody’s a Musial fan.”

His unusual stance and record-breaking plate appearances certainly earned him a spot as one of baseball’s greatest players.

There’s a statue outside of Busch Stadium that says, “Here stands baseball’s perfect warrior. Here stands baseball’s perfect knight.” It exemplifies "The Man" to perfection.

Things have changed a lot since Musial played ball, and there may never be another player quite like him.

The city of St. Louis and the entirety of Major League Baseball remember Musial for his excellence and love of the game.

On the bright side, there are only 17 days until pitchers and catchers report.

Reach the columnist at Megan.Kavy@asu.edu or follow her on Twitter @meggiekavy

×