Letter: Get prepared for health care mandate

For months, we have been hearing how a lot is changing when it comes to health care. When you remove the politics and the rhetoric, the fact remains that for many ASU students, losing coverage is just around the corner — when you turn 26 and lose family coverage or when you graduate and lose access to the student health plan.

Most Arizonans are required to have insurance coverage by March 31 or face paying a penalty. The Arizona PIRG Education Fund’s guide "So You Need Health Insurance. Now What?" includes definitions for common health insurance terms, helps you navigate your options, and provides the know-how needed to make an informed decision.

Top tips for students seeking health insurance:

1.Check out your options at the Health Insurance Marketplace. The plans include coverage for doctor visits, hospitalizations, preventive care, maternity care, emergency room care, prescriptions and more.

2. Look at additional options. These include staying on your parents’ plan until you are 26, enrolling in the student health plan or finding a job that offers insurance.

3. Find out about financial assistance to help pay for monthly premiums. New financial help is available for people with incomes up to $45,960. You may also qualify for free or low cost coverage available for people with incomes up to $45,960. You may also qualify for free or low-cost coverage.

4. Take advantage of expert help to compare plans in-person, by phone or online. Trained enrollment assistants are available to help you apply and understand your options at no cost to you. Find them at 211arizona.org or by calling 211.

5. Do not let insurers reject you for a pre-existing condition. Insurance companies can no longer deny you coverage or charge you more just because you have a health condition.

Diane E. Brown

Executive Director of the Arizona PIRG Education Fund

×