When Cardinals die, they become Angels

Now that the Super Bowl is over, it’s time to look ahead to baseball season, my favorite time of the year.

After a loss in the 2013 World Series, the St. Louis Cardinals traded third baseman David Freese to the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.

The Angels reached a deal with Freese on Monday. He will make $5.05 million during his first year in Los Angeles.

download-022114  

For Cardinals fans, it was hard to see Freese go. Although he wasn't spectacular in 2012 and 2013, he's a St. Louis native and was a World Series hero in 2011.

What’s the most awkward part about the Freese trade? He still has a couple years left in his contract with local St. Louis pizza place, Imo’s.

Freese will join former Cardinal Albert Pujols in Los Angeles, who made the switch to the Angels after the 2011 season. He signed a 10-year $254 million contract, making him one of the highest-paid players in baseball.

Since leaving the Cardinals, Pujols hasn’t done anything particularly noteworthy. He’s battled injuries and put up career-low numbers since he made the switch.

Two key parts of the 2011 World Series champions are back together. But you know what they say: When Cardinals die, they become Angels.

Reach the columnist at mkavy@asu.edu or follow her on Twitter @meggiekavy

×