Letter: Global warming is a hoax

I am writing this letter to inform you of an issue of growing importance in not only our community, but also the world. This issue is global warming, but not for the reasons you may think.

Yes, the temperature is on the rise, but that’s natural. The earth goes through these natural ups and downs, but what is unnatural is that it has become common knowledge to believe it is our fault.

For the past few decades, Americans have been barraged with the notion that we are sending our planet spiraling into chaos, thus producing a fear in many people that the end is near and who better to blame than ourselves.

I am here to tell you that we have been fooled. It is crazy to think that we humans, even at our present population of 7 billion, even have the slightest effect on our planet. And what is our apparent weapon that we are using to assist in our own "destruction"?

Last time I checked, CO2 was a natural gas, produced and USED by all living things. Plants need it to grow, the more CO2 the better. Cutting or banning CO2 would cause more harm than good. All things on earth exchange CO2, it works like a give and take system. When the oceans warm up, CO2 is produced and emitted.

This happens in amounts that humans could only dream of producing. According to a study done by the Oregon Institute of Science and Medicine, humans alone produce only about eight gigatons of CO2 a year and the rest of the world (oceans, forests, living creatures) produce and exchange 40,000 gigatons of CO2. So we really make a difference on a microscopic scale.

I’m not saying the whole green revolution is a mistake; we can always do a better job in keeping our Earth clean. But what I am saying is we need to do it for the right reasons. Not because we were scared into doing it, but because we want to do it. Moral of the story is people have been wronged by mainstream media and need to know the truth. We need to educate ourselves on the truth.

Domenic Caputo

Undergraduate

×