Oakland Raiders have enough talent to make playoff push in AFC

“I don’t see us sitting anywhere but first place in the AFC West.”

That is not a quote from the AFC champion Denver Broncos. Nor is it from a Kansas City Chief or a San Diego Charger, both teams that made the playoffs in 2013.

This was said by Oakland Raiders fullback Marcel Reece.

To be fair, this is unlikely. It would take a catastrophic injury to Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning for the Raiders to have a chance.

The Raiders pushing for the playoffs, though, is not unreasonable.

The team had $70 million to spend this offseason. It could have saved the money for a player with high upside or proven talent, but it’s been 11 years since the Raiders finished the season with a record better than .500. They had to act.

They added quarterback Matt Schaub, who played well in his career prior to a disastrous 2013 campaign. The Raiders also picked up wide receiver James Jones and running back Maurice Jones-Drew to help on offense.

On defense, notable additions included defensive ends Justin Tuck and LaMarr Woodley.

As of April 7, the Raiders have added 11 players. If Chargers quarterback Phillip Rivers regresses to his 2012 form and the Chiefs are unable to win against a tougher schedule, it would not be a stretch to say the Raiders could compete in the AFC.

Reach the columnist at lmnewma1@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @Logan_Newsman

×