Tempe Police: Man with fraudulent ID drives under the influence

Police found the man sleeping in a church parking lot after he urinated on himself.

Police Beat Photo

Tempe Police Headquarters

Tempe Police reported the following incidents Tuesday:

A 33-year-old Mexican man was arrested May 25 on the 2400 block of East Mcarthur Drive on suspicion of possessing fraudulent documents and driving under the influence, according to a police report.

Officers responded to a phone call about a tan Toyota Corolla swerving all over the road and almost hitting another car, according to the report. They found the car inside the parking lot of a church, police reported.

The report stated that the officers found a man behind the wheel sleeping with his keys in his lap. Officers noticed that the man appeared to have urinated on himself and that there was an open Budweiser bottle next to him in the right center console cup holder, police reported.

When officers spoke to the man, he had a distinct odor of alcohol on his breath, according to the report. He said he had been drinking earlier in the evening, and he couldn’t stand without leaning on something, police reported.

The man agreed to several field tests, but he failed all of them, the report said.

A search prior to arrest revealed that he had a fraudulent social security card and a fraudulent permanent resident card, according to the report.

He was arrested and transported to Tempe City Jail, where he was booked and held to see a judge.

A 37-year-old Tempe man was arrested May 25 on the 4500 block of South Hardy Drive on suspicion of marijuana and drug paraphernalia possession, according to a police report.

An officer responded to a call about the odor of burning marijuana coming from his apartment, police reported. When they arrived, the unit’s door was wide open and a clear plastic bag containing marijuana was visible on a coffee table about 10 feet inside the door, according to the report. A marijuana grinder was next to it, police reported.

The officer announced his presence and a man came to the door saying it was his apartment, the report said.

The man said that was his marijuana on the table, and that he had paid $20 for it and intended to use it, police reported. When the officer attempted to detain him, the man pulled away, but he cooperated after the officer pulled out his Taser, according to the report.

The man was arrested and transported to Tempe City Jail, where he was booked and released pending charges.

Reports compiled by Julia Shumway.

Reach the editor-in-chief at julia.shumway@asu.edu or follow @JMShumway on Twitter.

×