3 shows to hate-watch this fall

(Photo Courtesy of ABC)
(Photo Courtesy of ABC)

If there's one thing that TV taught me about writing and reporting, it's that it's possible to create a never-ending story, even when the story should have ended years ago. With all these new season premieres coming this Sunday, I can't help but wonder what on Earth drives these producers to force scriptwriters into creating new episodes that essentially go unwatched by everyone except those few loyal fans.

(Photo Courtesy of ABC) (Photo Courtesy of ABC)

"Revenge"

E! News describes the "Revenge" season four premiere as an "epic interaction" between Victoria and Emily (Thorne) Grayson. This is nothing new, since the Graysons have epic battles with every character in every episode.

For those of you who "unfortunately" missed out on the season three finale, Emily used her flair for vengeance to lock Victoria up in a psych ward and manipulate the family's former therapist as an aid keep her there.

Oh, also Conrad was murdered after escaping prison and guess who killed him? Emily's dead father. What genius decided to bring him back to life?

The entire series could have been avoided had Emily's (or, to be politically correct, Amanda Clarke's) father decided to come forward, take his daughter and their $1 billion fortune and go live somewhere in the Caribbean. Well, now he's back from the grave, so we're doomed for another five seasons.

"Castle"

Please raise your hands if you've ever seen or heard of ABC's "Castle." Five, maybe 10 of you? OK, good, that was my guess.

Yet the show is coming back for season seven, y'all! Author and wanna-be policeman Rick Castle and an actual NYPD detective, Kate Beckett, are back for 20 more thrilling episodes of God-knows-what.

At least we know one thing, Castle and Beckett are for sure in love this season. So in love that they were about to get married when Castle was kidnapped and his car was set on fire, leaving Beckett in tears, and probably in her wedding dress.

Maybe it has something to do with the pair trying to find her mother's murderer? That storyline also appeared out of nowhere and seems to go nowhere each season... As long as producers continue to bring back the quirky yet good-looking Detectives Ryan and Esposito, I can handle another season.

"Once Upon A Time"

Finally, we come to everyone's favorite show of fairy tales: "Once Upon a Time." This ABC series started off strong with an eccentrically engaging plot line and characters that we all know and love.

However, as season two began, the show lost its direction, ran out of new ideas and proceeded to just introduce all the characters that Grimm ever invented. Also, the Wicked Witch of the West somehow made the cut.

But don't worry, Elsa and Anna from "Frozen" are coming to save the day and the series. This new development seems like a desperate ploy to boost ratings after the tremendous success of the 2013 Disney phenomenon. Here's a plot twist: Henry (Snow White's and Charming's grandson) and Anna of Arendelle start dating and have their own spin-off show.

Emmy Award-winning series such as "Scandal," "Homeland" and "American Horror Story" have all offered a unique plot twist or introduced a compelling character that make the show worth another season. Too bad we have to wait another week for the latter two (a new season of "Scandal" starts Thursday). Maybe scriptwriters for "Once Upon a Time," "Revenge" and "Castle" can combine their storytelling abilities and write a show about an NYPD officer who takes revenge on Pinocchio?

Reach the reporter at mkthomp5@asu.edu or follow her on Twitter @MariaKThompson.

×