AAA's semester exhibit questions reality and imagination through community arts

Outside the Lines Banner

It was always just a passing thought for me. On the rare occasion that I'd have a class in the ASU University Center (UCENT) on the downtown Phoenix campus, I'd think how nice it was that local art donned the white walls between classrooms.

But I never looked closer unless I was waiting for the professor to open the door so we could get it over with.

But, upon closer inspection, the paintings, drawings and multimedia works that pepper all eight floors of the UCENT reveal a thriving community of artists with a lot to say. From elementary school art classes to independent local artists looking to sell, the variety of images and interpretations provides a comprehensive overview of the creativity existing in our community.

According to the College of Public Programs's website, the "Action, Advocacy & Arts" creates community between ASU and other local groups by using art as the medium.

Floors 1-3 of the building feature The Community Arts Program's themed exhibit, which changes twice per year.

"The art creates a hub of conversation and a place of cultural and social engagement," according to the website.

Floors 4-8 are reserved for The Emeritus Art Gallery, featuring works by retired ASU faculty members.

"Their art transforms the building into a center of culture, creativity and innovation."

On a walk through this semester's rotation of The Community Arts Program exhibit, the range of artists and subjects was striking.

This semester's exhibit is "Real and Imagined," which aims to explore the relationship between reality and imagination and all the variations in between.

"Both the real and imagined form our perceptions of everyday life including he things, people and places that surround us," states the introductory plaque. "Reality might have the hint of dreams and dreams a dash of reality."

Butterflies accompany the exhibit through all three floors and offer a whimsical sense of camaraderie to those willing to walk the exhibit. They guide viewers through hopeful pieces like the "The Wish Tree," as well as serious pieces like "Who is the Illegal Now?"

Featured artists tackle issues such as broken heartedness, dream achievement and the gradual realization of both positive and negative realities. This exhibit definitely blurs the grounding elements in pieces dealing with reality by experimenting with color and perspective. Simultaneously, artists are grounding abstract concepts through relatable imagery and symbolism.

So, the next time you have a bit of free time on the downtown campus, grab an iced drink and take a tour through "Real and Imagined." This public art exhibit is definitely worth an hour of consideration, even if you use it as a study break.

After all, the only thing you need to do is follow the butterflies.

What do you think about "Real and Imagined"? Let me know at mamccrea@asu.edu or via Twitter @mmccreary6.

×