Alt-J teams up with Miley in new album with salacious results

(Image courtesy of Infectious Records)
(Image courtesy of Infectious Records)

(Image courtesy of Infectious Records) (Image courtesy of Infectious Records)

Released in the U.S. on Sept. 23, Alt-J's sophomore album is a layered listen with distortion and tech heavy sounds. “This Is All Yours” is a perfect mixture of up-beat songs and slower moments, all emphasizing stylistic vocals and innovative combinations.

The band, known for major singles like “Fitzpleasure” and “Breezeblocks,” has an interesting choice of name, which actually serves as a command on Apple computers. The combination of keys "alt" and "j" create the Latin symbol delta, which symbolizes change in mathematical equations.

The creativity doesn't stop there. Like their previous album "An Awesome Wave," released in 2012, "This Is All Yours" is constantly surprising, weaving different styles and levels of intensity without feeling jarring or disconnected.

The song, “Hunger of the Pine,” is a standout on the album, and it features an interesting twist. Miley Cyrus lends a hook taken from her song “4x4.” Her lyrical phrase, “I’m a female rebel,” is woven throughout the song. The original song, featuring Nelly, is a hip-hop pop hit, making the isolated line almost unrecognizable in “Hunger of the Pine.”

Thom Green, the band's drummer, did not rule out possible future collaborations with Cyrus in an interview with GQ magazine, saying, “Her voice might suit some of our music.”

If “This Is All Yours” is any indication, the band could certainly innovate a Cyrus collaboration in an unexpected yet sophisticated fashion. The album has plenty of moments of unexpected sophistication, including numerous interludes that melt perfectly into the next song, creating a cyclical feeling throughout the album.

“Every Other Freckle” is a sexy combination of suggestive lyrics wrapped in rock riffs with a hint of reggae and just a touch of woodwind. It doesn’t sound like those things would work together, but they do. They just really do.

Alt-J’s first single off the new album, “Left Hand Free,” is an indie-pop hit with a flair of finesse, perfect for listening to while strolling around campus. Although the band admitted that the song is “the least Alt-J song ever” to The Guardian, it’s actually extremely catchy and addictive. In the interview, Green stated, “I tried to make the drums as clichéd as possible, there’s none of my personality in it,” but the song still works and makes for a solid first single, leaving the more nuanced numbers for new fans and old.

Songs like “Pusher” and “Warm Foothills” showcase the bands raw talent in a stripped down acoustic style that is a wonderful juxtaposition to highly produced and stylized tracks like “Left Hand Free” and “Hunger of the Pine.”

Overall, “This Is All Yours” is a solid sophomore album, proving the band’s creative talents and providing listeners with smooth, sexy tracks to enjoy while eagerly anticipating Alt-J’s next move.

Reach the reporter at Samantha.Shotzbarger@asu.edu or follow her on Twitter @SShotzbarger

×