'Am I a good man?' asks a newer, darker Doctor Who

Doctor Who Series 8
Picture shows: Peter Capaldi as The Doctor and Jenna Coleman as Clara

The Doctor (Peter Capaldi) and Clara (Jenna Coleman). (Photo Courtesy of Ray Burmiston, ©BBC/BBC Worldwide 2014/BBC AMERICA) The Doctor (Peter Capaldi) and Clara (Jenna Coleman). (Photo Courtesy of Ray Burmiston, ©BBC/BBC Worldwide 2014/BBC AMERICA)

Peter Capaldi’s role as the 12th Doctor, four episodes into the new season, has been an interesting ride to say the least. Gone is the inherent silliness of 10 and 11, and in place are their sharper edges — much like a younger version of the War Doctor.

The decision to go with Capaldi made sense if you believe a particular theory that followed The Day of the Doctor. You see, 12's look marks an acceptance of his actions during the Time War. Prior to “Day,” The War Doctor’s reverse aging signified guilt of his actions during the Time War. Doctors 10 and 11 (played by David Tennant and Matt Smith, respetively), were, known as the “The One Who Regrets,” and “The One Who Forgets," in sequence.

Of course, it didn’t stop a lot of the fanbase from going nuts before all this. Hell, Tumblr practically had a mental breakdown. “He’s too old”; “He looks mean”; “Eww, why is he so old?” Those first and last quotes were a hallmark of the tween crowd of fans.

Others, including me, met Capaldi with either excitement or cautious optimism. I was hoping that he could still do what the Doctor could — match wits with companions and enemies alike while still pulling out those last-minute victories. Not to mention the rapid-fire dialogue and dark expresses of exposition into just who the Doctor is.

Well, folks, the 12th Doctor is like the above, in his own ways. He still manages to be familiar, but he’s got a darker, slightly evil way of going about it.

Note: We are going into a little bit of spoiler territory here, so check in with the episodes before reading on.

Start with “Deep Breath,” the first episode of the new season. We get the usual post–regeneration disorientation: the stumbling about and words that barely make sense coming out of a mind that’s in the process of correcting itself.

“Why is there only a bed in it?!” he manically questions Clara about the room he’s in.

“Because it’s a bedroom!” she replies.

As the episode goes on, the Doctor is jumpy, distrusting and even nervous — kind of understandable when you’re trying to figure out who you are in the wake of a T-Rex trapped in Victorian London and a mad robot striving to be human.

The former playful banter with Clara is replaced with insults and constant questioning. The distrust between the two comes to a head in the middle of the episode, where he leaves her behind a stuck door of a hidden spaceship, sonic screwdriver in his hand.

“Well then, give me the screwdriver!” she cries.

He looks down at it, then back at her, a face marked with distrust. “I might need it,” he says, before taking off. He of course makes his heroic return, but the fact that the Doctor left a companion like that … it’s certainly something different. I can’t go so far as to say he’s inherently evil, but he can be a bit of an anti-hero. He’ll take a life to benefit the job at hand ("Into the Dalek"), but it’s not a choice he’ll make lightly. On the flip side, past Doctors would have at least tried to save a life before giving up.

Over the next few episodes, it became obvious that 12 isn’t the ever-out-of-reach boyfriend type that 10 and 11 were to their companions (sans Donna), but more of a dad, if you will. A dad who cares well enough, but just isn’t a hugger. He’s ornery, skeptical of everything ("The Robot of Sherwood") and hates being called a hero. He’s curious to the point of nearly sacrificing himself just to prove a theory ("Listen").

That isn’t to say that other Doctors were not curious. But that trait, among the others he carries, is housed within this frame of malice he has. He doesn’t quite care if the next adventure is even remotely safe, nor does he try to make it so ("Robot of Sherwood" being an exception). It’s all in the name of satisfying his desire for knowledge.

In the end, I like Peter Capaldi. So far, the youthful wonder of the 10 and 11 eras have been replaced with a mature, meticulous and careful man who’s still able to make comedy with a biting wit reminiscent of Malcolm Tucker. There’s a lot more to learn about the new Doctor, and it’s going to be a lot of fun seeing what’s next.

Reach the reporter at djulienr@gmail.com or follow him on Twitter @legendpenguin.

×