ASU football to wear maroon and white in Boulder

Football Taylor Kelly Texas Tech Holiday Bowl
Junior Redshirt quarterback Taylor Kelly looks for a receiver. ASU lost 37-23 against Texas Tech at the 2013 Holiday Bowl.

Junior Redshirt quarterback Taylor Kelly looks for a receiver. ASU lost 37-23 against Texas Tech at the 2013 Holiday Bowl. Junior Redshirt quarterback Taylor Kelly looks for a receiver. ASU lost 37-23
against Texas Tech at the 2013 Holiday Bowl.

The Sun Devils will don their maroon helmets for the first time this season, according to an announcement on the team's Twitter page.

In addition to the maroon helmets, ASU will wear white jerseys with maroon lettering and gold trim along with maroon pants.

After wearing the traditional gold helmets against Weber State and New Mexico, Todd Graham's bunch will mix it up for their Pac-12 opener.

The helmets, which feature an oversized pitchfork and the player's number were last seen in last season's Holiday Bowl against Texas Tech.

One of the team's 10 different helmet options, they were debuted last season when the team played USC.

https://twitter.com/FootballASU/status/510142897539538945

Last year when ASU faced Colorado, they wore the traditional maroon helmet with a smaller version of the iconic pitchfork.

Fans expecting to see ASU's new anthracite jerseys, which were revealed last month, will likely have to wait until the team faces Notre Dame in October.

ASU's next home game, against UCLA on Sept 25, has been advertised as a blackout game, the first since the team played Notre Dame last season in Dallas, Texas.

2014 season in photos

[slideshow_deploy id='149980']

Reach the sports editor at icbeck@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @ICBeck21

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepresssport on Twitter.

×