ASU hockey sneaks past upset-minded Niagara

The Sun Devil hockey team heads back to the bench after warming up for its game against Niagara University on Sept. 20, 2014. The Sun Devils beat the Purple Eagles 4-3. (Photo by Fabian Ardaya)

Sun Devil hockey The Sun Devil hockey team heads back to the bench after warming up for its game against Niagara University on Sept. 20, 2014. The Sun Devils beat the Purple Eagles 4-3. (Photo by Fabian Ardaya)

No. 1 ASU slipped through the talons of the No. 20 Niagara University Purple Eagles on Saturday, winning 4-3 to cap off a weekend sweep at Oceanside Ice Arena.

Niagara (0-2) pushed for the upset but was unable to come up with the win as ASU squeaked by.

“Our guys have got to get it through their heads that they’re getting everybody’s best effort all season, and we got their very best effort,” coach Greg Powers said. “We’re in the business of winning hockey games, and we just won two. We’ll go back to the drawing board and go into next weekend (vs. West Chester).”

The game was physical from the outset, with multiple stoppages in play due to shoving matches between teams in the opening minutes. ASU (2-0) dominated possession of the puck early in the first period and created opportunities, but could never capitalize on the final shot.

After failing to convert on the power play when sophomore forward Andrew Mitch was called for tripping, the Sun Devils were caught with too many men in the Niagara zone, allowing junior forward Austin Wharry to score on the two-on-one and put the Purple Eagles ahead early.

Tensions boiled over midway through the second period, as ASU sophomore forward Patrick Yudez got tangled up with Niagara sophomore defenseman Jake Ryan along the boards. Punches were exchanged, and both Yudez and Ryan were given roughing penalties.

Despite the brief lapse in composure, Powers was impressed with how his team handled themselves amidst the physical play.

“We have to (stay composed),” he said. “Teams do that to us, they play us physical. They try to under our skin, and take us to the (penalty) box, and not put us on the power play because we have a skilled group.”

After failing to find success putting away the puck early on in the game, the Sun Devil offense finally broke through in a dominant second period. Video by Fabian Ardaya | Sports reporter

Freshman defenseman Gianni Mangone got ASU on the board just over a minute into the period with a powerful slapshot from the point past sophomore goalie Mike Parda.

ASU followed it up with two more goals by freshman defenseman Ed McGovern and sophomore forward Tommy Cooney to give the Sun Devils a 3-1 lead.

It was Cooney's second goal of the season, putting him behind sophomore forward Ryan Ostertag for the team lead (four).

“I’m just excited that (I scored), but I got to give all the credit to my linemates,” Cooney said. “In practice, in tryouts, we were flying out there, so none of it would have happened without them.”

Niagara wasn’t going away without a fight, as freshman forward Dalton Bew forced a turnover in the ASU zone, then rocketed a slapshot past sophomore goalie Robert Levin to cut the lead to 3-2.

Drama ensued over the final minutes of the game, as after Ostertag seemingly put the game out of reach with his put back goal with 2:04 remaining, the Purple Eagles went back and scored themselves just 14 seconds later. ASU managed to fend off any other attacks from Niagara and held on for the win.

Powers was disappointed overall in the play of the defense, which allowed three goals for the second consecutive night and allowed several odd man rushes on counterattacks, but also focused on the play of captain Brett Blomgren.

“As a unit, (junior defender and captain Brett Blomgren) has got to be better,” he said. “He’s got to be better. Period. End of story. He struggled this weekend, and I don’t know if it’s the burden of (being captain), but he’s made mistakes two nights in a row now that the (captain) cannot make.”

The three goals allowed by Levin on consecutive nights already account for double the total number of games where he allowed three or more last season (one). While admitting that he is not where he was last year, Powers was confident in his starting goaltender.

“(Robert Levin’s) certainly not himself, he wasn’t this weekend,” he said. “He’s looking good in practice, he’s still working hard. He’s shown a chink in his armor, but every great player goes through that, and he’s a great goalie, he proved that to us last year. There is absolutely no wavering, he is our starting goaltender, and will continue to be.”

The Sun Devils get back in action from Oceanside Ice Arena on Friday, Sept. 26, against West Chester.

2014 hockey season

[slideshow_deploy id='150368']

Reach the reporter at fardaya@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @fardaya15

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepressport on Twitter.

×