ASU rededicates building plaque in honor of Vietnam War hero

ASU has a long history of heroes who have served this country. While everyone knows the Pat Tillman story, but not many know about Master Sergeant William C. Sutton.

Sutton was a Master Sergeant in the Vietnam War, where he was a member of the 37th Air Rescue and Recovery Group. In 1970, he passed away during a rescue mission in Laos during the war.

Fast forward to now, a building at the Williams Air Force Base, now known as Polytechnic campus, was named after Sutton. Sutton Hall was dedicated with a plaque honoring him in 1972.

In 2003, the hall was renovated and the plaque was lost during renovation. But the plaque was recently found by the ASU staff, earlier this year at an auction.

In a special ceremony this morning, the plaque was rededicated in front of Sutton's family. Director of the ASU Pat Tillman Center Capt. Steve Borden spoke at the ceremony on the importance of this plaque being at ASU.

“ASU is trying to keep in contact with its history,” he said. “This plaque is to commemorate someone who sacrificed.”

Angela Creedon, associate vice president of community and municipal relations at ASU, was the woman responsible for the ceremony that took place this morning.

“Sutton Hall was named after William Sutton prior to ASU taking over,” she said. “ASU is honored to be able to support veterans and it will continue to support the military.”

The Sutton family was in attendance, as well as Air Force pilots from the Williams Field Class of 1969. Even current Air Force pararescuemen made an appearance to show their support.

Keith Sutton, who is William Sutton's son, said when the plaque was found they were notified and had the option of taking the plaque and keeping it at home, but chose to return it to ASU.

“(The plaque) is where it belongs,” he said. “The rightful place for it to be is here.”

Reach the reporter at William.a.Parker@asu.edu

×