ASU's West campus celebrates Hispanic Heritage Month with salsa, art, theater

Freshman sociology major Carolina Hernandez and interdisciplinary art and performance senior Shiloh Ashley help paint the Calle 16 Mural Project in 2012.  The mural was unveiled at the West campus along with the closing ceremonies for the celebration of Hispanic Heritage Month. (Photo by Vince Dwyer)
Freshman sociology major Carolina Hernandez and interdisciplinary art and performance senior Shiloh Ashley help paint the Calle 16 Mural Project in 2012. The mural was unveiled at the West campus along with the closing ceremonies for the celebration of Hispanic Heritage Month. (Photo by Vince Dwyer)

Freshman sociology major Carolina Hernandez and interdisciplinary art and performance senior Shiloh Ashley help paint the Calle 16 Mural Project in 2012.  The mural was unveiled at the West campus along with the closing ceremonies for the celebration of Hispanic Heritage Month. (Photo by Vince Dwyer) Freshman sociology major Carolina Hernandez and interdisciplinary art and performance senior Shiloh Ashley help paint the Calle 16 Mural Project in 2012. The mural was unveiled at the West campus along with the closing ceremonies for the celebration of Hispanic Heritage Month. (Photo by Vince Dwyer)

West campus will kick off the much-anticipated Hispanic Heritage Month with a movie screening, a theatrical production, a mural project, salsa making and salsa dancing.

Lucy Berchini, administrative associate professor with the ASU School of Humanities, Art, & Cultural Studies and member of the Hispanic Heritage Month Committee, said she hopes many people will attend and see what the West campus is like.

"We will have speakers that will talk about different countries every month, or every two months, so that people will become aware," Berchini said. "It gives students and people a chance, that if they can't travel (to other Hispanic countries), at least they can travel through the eyes of the presentation."

Students will be able to get involved in many events all dedicated toward celebrating and appreciating the unique cultures brought to the campus with this month's activities.

"(Hispanic Heritage Month) helps the students identify with their culture. ... It entails all the Hispanic cultures, not just one," she said. "Since ASU has so many different students, from so many different cultures here, it helps them feel at home."

Going along that theme, at all the events occurring during the month's activities the flags of every Hispanic nation will be present and visible.

Berchini said she looks forward to seeing students reactions.

"(The West campus) benefits from this event, because it makes us an all-inclusive campus," she said. "The students feel a part of this community, and they feel closer to their culture."

Spanish literature major Alvaro Salcedo, who is also the director of the National Hispanic Honor Society at West, is also looking forward to the upcoming event.

Salcedo said one of the events he is most looking forward to is the Salsa to Salsa event.

"...There's going to be a lot of dancing, and there's also going to be a salsa-making competition," he said.

For this particular event, no registration is necessary.

"You come to the event, on Oct. 15, and it's in the Sun Devil Fitness Complex, and you just show up and be ready to create your own salsa and dance to some salsa as well," he said.

Many students are excited to be a part of the festivities. English sophomore Cassandra White said one of her favorite events is the Calle 16 Mural Project.

"Every time you walked by there, people were there," she said. "It was really cool, because there is a main idea they used, but then individuals were able to incorporate their own ideas."

The full schedule of events is as follows:

Opening Reception: Monday, Sept. 15, 11:30 a.m. - 1:30 p.m. Verde Dining Pavilion

Screening of the film “Underwater Dreams”: Wednesday, Sept. 24, 6 - 8 p.m. La Sala Ballroom in the University Center Building

Theatrical production – “La Razón Blindada (or Reason Obscured)”: Sept. 26 - 27 at 7:30 p.m.; Sept 28 at 3 p.m. Second Stage West in the University Center Building. Tickets are $10 general admission; $7 for seniors; $5 for students, faculty and staff. They are available at www.brownpapertickets.com.

Calle 16 Mural Project: Sept. 30 - Oct. 2. Sands Classroom Building Courtyard.

Closing Reception – Salsa-Salsa Fiesta: Wednesday, Oct. 15, 5 - 7 p.m. Sun Devil Fitness Complex.

Reach the reporter at rtashboo@asu.edu or follow her on twitter @Rachael_Ta

×