RyanClarke9-28

On Sept. 22, Bill Simmons got on his podcast and did what he is paid to do: have an opinion about sports. Specifically, Simmons attacked NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, calling him a "liar" — which he decidedly is. Colorful language was sprinkled into this podcast as well, but that's nothing new for Simmons. Regardless, ESPN suspended him for three weeks. Many believe the likely reason for his suspension was his daring ESPN to punish him:

"I really hope somebody calls me or emails me and says I’m in trouble for anything I say about Roger Goodell. Because if one person says that to me, I’m going public. You leave me alone. The commissioner’s a liar, and I get to talk about that on my podcast. Thank you. ... Please call me and say I’m in trouble. I dare you."

However, there may be underlying reasons for Simmons' suspension, like a desire to please the corrupt organization that Simmons so virulently attacked on his podcast. When Simmons stated he planned on "going public," it's not clear exactly what he meant. I offer a means of "going public" for Mr. Simmons: Ditch ESPN, because you're too good for it.

Shoddy journalism (with the exception of Outside the Lines) and questionable decision making on the part of ESPN's personalities are driving the worldwide leader into the ground. As I've stated before, if ESPN didn't have a monopoly on the sports news industry, many would just stop watching.

Take ESPN personality and unnecessarily loud person Stephen A. Smith, for example. Smith went on a tirade about the issue of domestic violence with his partner-in-moronic-behavior Skip Bayless. In said tirade, Smith claimed that women should not "do anything to provoke" domestic violence. This egregiously simple-minded statement landed Smith in hot water (deservedly so), and as a result, ESPN suspended Smith for two weeks.

Now you're probably thinking: Wait, what? How could someone that believes women provoke domestic violence still be an employed "journalist" for the kings of sports news? Especially considering he's still screaming his twisted worldview at the masses on live TV? Short answer: I have no idea.

You're probably also wondering how Smith's suspension could possibly be an entire week less than that of his colleague Simmons. It's pretty hard to grasp that a misogyny-charged rant could garner a lesser suspension than a rant criticizing those in power, like Roger Goodell, who continue to disregard women through their blatant cover-up of the Ray Rice situation.

You have to consider whether or not money plays into all of this — does the profitability of its NFL coverage supersede ESPN's respect for women and victims of domestic violence everywhere? It sure as hell looks like it.

ESPN, through its handling of two adverse opinions on the Ray Rice situation, has done all but take a stance on domestic violence victim-blamers and blind supporters of the wildly corrupt NFL. By suspending Bill Simmons, it only furthers the notion that it falls into those categories.

A destination for "The Sports Guy" once he kisses Bristol goodbye could definitely be Sports Illustrated. SI already has the Monday Morning Quarterback, headed by Peter King, so Simmons could create something of a MMQB for the NBA, since he's such a huge fan of pro basketball. Simmons could bring along Zach Lowe from Grantland, one of the best basketball writers in the business, and create something along the lines of the "Sunday Morning Shooting Guard" or what have you.

It only makes sense now for Simmons to move on from ESPN. He's been critical of their practices for years, and it's high time he took the high road toward other journalistic ventures. He's far too great of a sportswriter to continue to associate himself with such mediocrity.

Reach the columnist at RClarke6@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @RClarkeASU

×