(Photo Courtesy of Columbia Records) (Photo Courtesy of Columbia Records)

Train’s newest album, "Bulletproof Picasso," released Sept. 16, consists of 12 songs that feature a drastically different “pop” sound.

Lead singer Patrick Monahan sounds almost as if he’s been auto-tuned in the new album. He’s nearly 45 and still wearing skinny jeans, so the idea that he was auto-tuned isn’t that far-fetched.

The 2001 hit “Drops of Jupiter” was that of a wildly different time compared to "Bulletproof Picasso." Even the 2009 hit “Hey, Soul Sister” wasn’t that much of a difference from the band's original tune. But with this new album, change is an understatement.

It’s as if the band is struggling and trying to do everything they can to keep fame. Monahan certainly seems to be having trouble hitting the high notes in “Give it All,” one of the songs on "Bulletproof Picasso."

Although the lyrics and the vocals may be sub-par, the instrumentals aren’t all bad. They can still lead to a slight foot tap or maybe even the occasional head nod.

Monahan isn’t just a singer; he also plays instruments including percussion, harmonica, acoustic guitar, trumpet and saxophone. Maybe he should put a stronger focus on playing the instruments if Train put out another album.

Train9-17

The San Francisco-based band has transformed from the past, consisting of feel-good songs that were sung during road trips with the top of the car down, to a conformist pop band that writes lyrics to sell rather than actually intrigue their fans.

Their lyrics have always been sort of cheesy and didn’t require much thought, but they were still enjoyable to sing along to. This album doesn’t even grant that pleasure.

The new album is not worth the $9.99 price tag on iTunes. If you must listen, try to see if you can make it through the whole thing on YouTube, or check it out on Spotify.

[embed size= "compact"] https://play.spotify.com/user/1231920036/playlist/4UftHdybEHJ4jytShWmJfW [/embed]

If you are still a die-hard Train fan after this new album’s release, I applaud you for remaining so faithful.

Reach the reporter at danielle.kernkamp@asu.edu or follow her on Twitter @danikernkamp.

×