DesireePharias9-9With society's ever-expanding economic growth, as well as our growing cities, it seems as if we are leaving no stone unturned. Even the Seven Natural Wonders of the World are in danger of societal takeover. With plans to build a strip mall within the Grand Canyon, it poses the question: Is anything sacred?

“The Grand Canyon Escalade” is the presumed project for this landmark, with restaurants, hotels, fast-food chains, and an amphitheater, among other attractions. The new mini metropolis will reside just below the eastern rim of the canyon.

In our fast-paced society, convenience is key, but do we really need to purchase a meal and window shop within the confines of the canyon? Expansion even a mile down the road seems a bit more acceptable, or a ways away from the canyon's ledge, where buildings already reside.

This isn’t the only attraction to be added to the canyon. The Skywalk opened in March 2007. Environmentalists disagreed with the addition of the Skywalk, and the addition of The Grand Canyon Escalade is sure to receive the same feedback.

Each of these attractions have been built within the territory of Indian Reservations, outside the confines of The Grand Canyon National Park, where regulations can’t affect the expansions. According to the website of The Grand Canyon Escalade, “The Navajo Nation Trust Land Leasing Act of 2000 (25 U.S.C § 415) has authorized the Navajo Nation to conduct business site leasing without subsequent federal approval.” Although this piece of the canyon can’t be protected, society as a whole should respect the natural beauty of one of the Natural Wonders of the World and leave this landmark untouched.

It seems as if these new additions are simply a ploy to increase the landmark's income from visiting tourists. Although a significant amount of income is guaranteed, and more people will experience the Grand Canyon, it doesn’t seem that they will experience it in the way they should. Natural wonders of this sort should be experienced in a pure form. A family should be making the drive to the landmark, packed lunch in hand, hiking along the rim, gazing out in amazement at the wondrous sight, not driving through a fast food restaurant that has been built within the confines of said landmark.

Not only will we have modernized a timeless experience, the canyon is sure to take a hit as so many people track through it. Normal wear and tear is sure to hinder its preservation. If we start adding modern day conveniences to monuments that have been formed over millions of years and stood the test of time, we will be destroying the earth in all its natural glory. These places of wonder should remain a sacred getaway that we go to escape the hustle and bustle of the technological world in which we live, not just another place to go to get a value meal. With the Grand Canyon heading in this direction, what’s next? Billboards on the Great Pyramid of Giza?

Reach the columnist at dpharias@asu.edu or follow her on Twitter @_desirayray

×