Fireworks display limited for ASU vs. UCLA

Fireworks explode above the crowd at Sun Devil Stadium before the game against Weber St on Aug. 28. Firework restrictions will remain in place during the game against UCLA on Sept. 24. (Photo by Andrew Ybanez)

Fireworks explode above the crowd at Sun Devil Stadium before the game against Weber St on Aug. 28. Firework restrictions will remain in place during the game against UCLA on Sept. 24. (Photo by Andrew Ybanez) Fireworks explode above the crowd at Sun Devil Stadium before the game against
Weber St on Aug. 28. Firework restrictions will remain in place during the game
against UCLA on Sept. 24. (Photo by Andrew Ybanez)

The firework blasts that ASU football fans are used to will go off only three times during Thursday's game against UCLA.

According to ASU, fireworks will only go off during the National Anthem and when the Sun Devils take the field to begin the game and to begin the second half.

In the past, fireworks were lit after every score, but that will not be the case for ASU's showdown with the visiting Bruins.

However, pyrotechnics will be launched from the north and south loge private boxes after every ASU score throughout the game.

Fireworks were also limited in the team's season opening win against Weber State. According to ASU, the limitations are due to aviation concerns.

"Aviation officials raised concerns about launching fireworks off the buttes surrounding Sun Devil Stadium in August prior to football’s 2014 season opener against Weber State," officials said in a press release.

In light of those concerns, the decision was made to again be cautious with fireworks against UCLA.

The Sun Devils have four home games remaining on the schedule and firework displays will return to normal for the rest of those games.

Reach the sports editor at icbeck@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @ICBeck21

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow them on Twitter @statepresssport

×