From the Desk: Our scientific magazine

From the Desk: Our scientific magazine

September 19, 2014 | 3:10pm MST

From the Desk Banner

Hello readers, Mackenzie here.

I’ve always wished to have a smarter brain. Not so I could ace the SATs or win every game of chess, but just so I could study science. I’ve always been fascinated by space and the endless possibilities existing within that epic void. Each little jewel in the nighttime sky promises wonder and excitement.

It’s mind-blowing, isn’t it? All the great and lasting questions about our existence still remain unanswered. And, although I like to ponder philosophy while sipping my morning coffee, I can never wrap my mind around it all.

How did we get here? How do we work? What else is out there?

As years of school passed, I quickly realized that if I could barely make it through high school physics I probably wouldn’t be suited to a profession based on logarithms and differential equations. Of course, my love of writing got in the way a little bit too.

After months of hard work from the SPM staff, we have finally released our first issue of the semester, "Theory and Discovery."

This issue allowed us to combine our two interests: reporting and searching for answers. Research and its subsequent discoveries are essential to university settings. Both professors and students get the chance to pursue their greatest curiosities in high-tech labs with lots of instruments and percolating chemicals. But often, these efforts are hidden behind closed doors. With this issue, we ventured into the depths of the science community at ASU and found a few passionate scientists with big dreams for their research. Read about a professor’s potential vaccine for HIV and his work to raise awareness about the virus. Read about a mouth guard designed to record head injuries to prevent prolonged complications in athletes.

We’re all searching for answers, for something to help us explain, cope with or change our existence. And ASU may be the place to do just that.

If you haven't yet, pick up a copy found in stacks on campus and in surrounding businesses and libraries. Then tell us what you hope the next big discovery or scientific innovation will be via Twitter @StatePressMag.

Reach the writer at mamccrea@asu.edu or via Twitter @mmccreary6.

×