Amid the usual acronyms being casually uttered by college students, there are a select few that seem to make many undergrads shudder: MCAT, LSAT, DAT, GRE, and PCAT. Whether it is freshmen preparing early or juniors and seniors just realizing the calamity of it all, students are worrying about graduate school, and more specifically, they are worrying about entrance exams.

It seems natural for this “test anxiety” to be amplified when prices are considered; the testing fees range from $170.00 for the LSAT to $385.00 for the DAT, not including late, rescheduling and retake fees. On top of that, there are the costs for prep materials and courses depending on your path. Clearly, there is a lot at stake, including your — or your parents’ — wallet.

The craze over taking these tests and obtaining scores in the top percentiles has become worrisome. Yes, let’s do well on the test, but let’s also remember to be a whole person.

Are these tests actually important? Of course, but students need to remember that schools take them in context of their entire application. Fixating on an unreasonably spectacular score and one test is hardly healthy. If that was the only thing that mattered to schools, only the best test-takers would be admitted. A good score doesn't provide any information about what type of student that score represents. It doesn't explain passion, laziness, empathetic personalities or ruthless ambition. Schools use these scores in conjunction with transcripts. They have to have some way to look for discrepancies between scores and transcripts. Those students with low scores in their transcripts and high test scores may be guilty of coasting by while students with fully-fleshed transcripts and reasonable scores (and even somewhat lower scores) can represent effort. It is also important to note the difference between a bad score and a reasonable and improved score.

Again, schools do not simply look at these scores; they also try to look at the application in its entirety. In an article from Association of American Medical Colleges, Jen Uscher writes that medical schools are now taking a more “holistic approach” to admittance. Medical schools realized they didn’t just want exceptionally brilliant doctors if they could get exceptionally brilliant doctors with good bedside manner. In the article, Steven T. Case, associate dean for admissions at the University of Mississippi School of Medicine, says, “We have never found a formula or algorithm for that, so we talk about it.” Despite the time it takes to discuss applications, schools recognize that each application is unique.

Some schools may sort your application into the reject pile solely based off a cutoff score. The question students must ask is, “Do I really want to go to a school like this?” A U.S. News article encourages students to research their program of interest and look for schools that take a more holistic approach. If students are adamant about a school that has cutoff scores, they shouldn’t be discouraged, but they should be aware of the situation and prepare for and retake tests accordingly. Also, if there is a discrepancy between a score and transcripts, the U.S. News article encourages students to explain this in a personal statement or essay. Don’t make excuses, but do show a willingness to learn and improve.

The importance of graduate admittance exams should not be underrated, but the frenzy about obtaining sensational scores should be decreased. It is paramount that in the process of "better-ing" ourselves, we don't lose perspective and only better our scores. Colleges do recognize that students are people, not numbers. Despite the stress on test scores, they really do want a whole person.

Reach the columnist at jessica.m.fletcher@asu.edu or follow her on Twitter @jmf1193

×