[embed width="600" contenteditable="false"]http://vimeo.com/105614867[/embed]

Boots, lace, an ungodly amount of eye shadow and, of course, wigs. Hedwig took the stage and the fans gathered at Crescent Ballroom welcomed both her and her angry inch during the “Rainbow Carnage! Celebrating the music of Hedwig And The Angry Inchshow on Sept. 7.

“Hedwig And The Angry Inch,” a rock musical first performed off Broadway in 1988 and that inspired a 2001 movie, has received the Broadway treatment. Neil Patrick Harris dons the leading role of Hedwig, a transgender rocker from East Berlin with a surgical mistake-laden past. While the Broadway musical has brought on a recent resurgence of the cult movie and Off-Broadway show, the performers of this musical review were performing this show before it hit the big stage.

It had been more than six years since the charismatic drag wonder Pandora DeStrange, and the show’s alternate Hedwig, Scott Schmelder, put on the iconic wigs of Hedwig and performed the musical review. Other local and returning performers, including Tracy Payne Black as Yitzhak and Terre Steed lending vocals and playing the keyboards, joined in an event that would be “a once-in-a-lifetime experience for lovers of this show."

Crescent Ballroom, a downtown Phoenix music venue staple, was packed with young and old gathered to hear some of the show’s popular songs.

Before the "Hedwig And The Angry Inch" AndrogeneX took the stage. The band was a frequent set in local Phoenix rock, but has been out of commission for six years. Though the band recently rejoined the scene, they performed a fun and interesting set that showed no signs of previous retirement.

Performing songs like “Tear Me Down” and “Angry Inch” DeStrange commanded the stage with power vocals and a strong personality. DeStrange commented that the song, “Angry Inch,” was particularly inspirational in her decision to perform.

Schmelder took on iconic songs like “Origin of Love” and “Wig In a Box” with beautifully trained vocals. Even DeStrange commented that Schmelder had the voice of a songbird, something she certainly utilized during the show.

Both Hedwigs performed the number, “Sugar Daddy,” eliciting some fun and definitely edgy audience participation. The show’s edgy premise did not seem to shock the crowds, and a distinct sense of community was felt within Crescent Ballroom.

While not standing center-stage, both Black and Steed gave wonderful contributions to the musical review, offering ideal vocal performances and comedic and appropriately timed snide remarks. The musicians also deserve special distinction, as they performed flawlessly and definitely got into the spirit of the show.

The “Rainbow Carnage! Celebrating the music of Hedwig And The Angry Inchshow is a blissful opportunity for fans of Hedwig to sing along with the music.

Reach the reporter at Samantha.Shotzbarger@asu.edu or follow her on Twitter @SShotzbarger

×