'Memphis' lives in Phoenix Theatre

The official poster for the Broadway musical, Memphis

The official poster for the Broadway musical, Memphis The official poster for the Broadway musical, Memphis

As a long-time theater enthusiast, it's easy to be swept up in the glamour of the set and the awe of receiving perhaps your 100th Playbill at the door. At the end of the show, I still like to ask myself (and whoever accompanies me), "What did you like best?" or "What did you remember most?"

I'm not sure if it was the characters' remarkable vocal stylings and southern accents, the corny-yet-I-still-laugh jokes and dialogue of the script or simply the intimacy of the theater, but Wednesday's preview of "Memphis" the musical at Phoenix Theatre was surely the most enjoyable local production I've seen in the Valley.

"Memphis," a Tony-award-winning musical, brought back the significance of rhythm and blues music and its overwhelming theme of uniting people of all races. With music and lyrics by David Bryan and a script by Joe DiPietro, this show is not just another teenage "Romeo and Juliet" forbidden love story, but one that brings forth the magic and the power of soul music.

Memphis9-18

First, I'd like to point out that I've seen this musical at three different theater companies and the same songs continue to give me the chills: "Someday" and "Memphis Lives in Me." Both are powerful reminders of childhood folklores to dream big and stand up for what, and who, you believe in. The harmonies for the latter song however, will give you the chills, or your money back.

There are actors that are good, and there are actors that are, "Wow, he is so good!"

CJ Pawlikowski, who plays the main character, Huey Calhoun, a radio host turned rebel playing "race music" is a perfect example of an actor who turned a mediocre character into a fictional celebrity crush. I can't recall how many times I nudged my friend when Pawlikowski threw in a perfect rift, as if she couldn't hear him already.

Huey Calhoun's dilemma in the show was whether he wanted to move to New York or stay in Memphis. On behalf of all Phoenix Theatre lovers: Pawlikowski, please don't move back to New York!

Opposite Calhoun is the graceful, yet ambitious character Felicia Farrell played by the equally talented Tia DeShazor. That girl can belt. Farrell's moment came in the beginning of the show during "Underground," when she showed the audience the proper way to command a stage.

Every so often you come across a minor character who re-energizes the audience. During the second act, that character was Bobby (David Robbins) who is a janitor at the radio station. Robbins' song "Big Love" was my favorite three minutes of the entire show. Robbins redefined a "supporting" role, and he proved to be a triple threat as he traded in his broom for a break-dance.

Despite a late start and a tired audience, "Memphis" was an upbeat and memorable production that deserves some "Big Love."

Productions run Sept. 17 - Oct. 12 at the Mainstage Theatre. For more information and to purchase tickets, visit www.phoenixtheatre.com.

Reach the reporter at mkthomp5@asu.edu or follow her on Twitter @MariaKThompson

×