From Ray Rice to Greg Hardy to Adrian Peterson to Jonathan Dwyer, the National Football League has an epidemic of criminal activity in recent weeks. According to USA Today, there are 732 records of NFL players arrested since 2000. That's the equivalent of nearly fourteen 53-man NFL rosters — you could start your own league with the number of players arrested in that span.

The trend of crime, particularly violent crime, in the NFL is nothing new. Just because all of these big names are coming out in a short period doesn't mean that the problem is getting worse. From 2000 to 2013, the average number of arrests in the NFL per year was nearly 50. We're on pace for 53 in 2014.

What remains the issue is not the volume of crime; it's the NFL's absurd tactics of handling its off-the-field problems. With the league there is constant back and forth, changing of policy and actions based solely on the public's reactions — not the evidence right in front of it.

An organization that the NFL should look to as an example of how to handle its problems is the NBA. When the tape of Donald Sterling making racist remarks surfaced, it didn't take long for rookie commissioner Adam Silver to ban Sterling for life, fine him $2.5 million and force a sale of the team he so stubbornly coveted.

Silver is already more open and willing to listen to players and fans more than his predecessor, David Stern. While Stern accomplished great things as commissioner of the NBA, he, like Goodell, was often more concerned about profitability than what was best for the league (Seattle Sonics fans know what I'm talking about). Stern is nowhere near Goodell's level of crookedness and corruptness, however. Stern was a great commish, but there's no doubt in my mind that the regime change is the best thing that could have happened for the NBA.

In order for the NFL to maintain its stronghold on American sports fans, there needs to be an NBA-style regime change — and fast.

We all know Goodell's speech on Sept. 19 was scripted nonsense.

What's more is the timing of Outside the Lines' report that details how the entire Ray Rice situation was a cover-up, one that may lead all the way back to Goodell himself. There's not much left for Goodell other than to resign, despite the fact that he's (allegedly) never thought about doing so.

At this point, the only way for the NFL to salvage its reputation — if it even has one left — and make serious change for the better is to oust Roger Goodell. Goodell's successor should be someone with no close ties to the current front office, possibly from another sports league with experience in a high-level position.

One person who would transition smoothly into Goodell's job is outgoing Canadian Football League commissioner Mark Cohon. Cohon brings a bevy of experience to the table, having worked in the NBA and MLB and served as CFL commish for seven years. He's stepping down after this season, and, if all goes well, so will Roger Goodell, so it feels like a perfect fit for the NFL. Cohon is a fresh face with the right mindset and all the necessary credentials, so why not fire Goodell and bring him on?

The problem is, Goodell is unlikely to be fired. He refuses to resign as well, and he claims that he has full support of the owners. If the "Ginger Hammer" refuses to step down, who knows how long the NFL will be controlled by money-grubbing cover-up artists who are destroying the reputation of the most popular sports league in America. Cohon has potential to be the NFL's Adam Silver, but Goodell doesn't deserve a graceful David Stern-like exit.

Reach the columnist at rclarke6@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @rclarkeasu

×