Pro-feminist crowned Phoenix poetry king

Lauren Perry performs at Phoenix iWPS finals from The State Press on Vimeo.

Recent buzz throughout the Phoenix arts district has focused on the upcoming Individual World Poetry Slam competition. Throughout the fall season, events will circulate within the area’s cultural scene until the official winner is chosen after the nationally recognized competition beginning Oct. 8.

But first, the city of Phoenix had to choose a representative.

On Saturday, {9} the Gallery hosted the finals for this year’s iWPS championship. A total of 12 poets had been selected to participate prior to this event through two bouts of semifinals, with only one competitor remaining by the end of the finals. This year’s Phoenix representative at the iWPS competition will be Myrlin Hepworth.

Before Hepworth’s victory, however, the young poet was met with a healthy competition.

With such themes as mortality, femininity and homosexuality, the Phoenix chapter of poets who presented at {9} the Gallery covered a wide range of talent. Notable mentions such as Lauren Perry and The Klute evened the competition with their captivating personalities to make the decision a mystery until the very moment the scores were tallied a last time.

The Klute performs at Phoenix iWPS finals from The State Press on Vimeo.

Despite these talented runners-up, Hepworth maintained an edge by emulating an engaging urban persona as he shared his personal anecdotes, including his self-proclaimed feminism and decision to delete former Facebook acquaintances among other relatable issues. Thus, audience members’ faces were both approving and supportive as his name was revealed along with his new title: the Phoenix iWPS representative.

Now that Hepworth has set himself apart from the ranks of those in Phoenix, he must prove his talent among 71 other competitors this fall. Poets from all around America, Canada and Britain will be flying to the Valley in order to share their poems for the potential to be named iWPS champion.

Those interested in attending the Oct. 9-11 world competition can purchase season passes at iwps.poetryslam.com.

Reach the reporter at aplante@asu.edu or follow her on Twitter @aimeenplante

×