Tall walls, paneled ceilings and sleek chairs are all part of the Musical Instrument Museum’s theater. A polished wooden frame surrounds the stage, and the stage itself echoes every pin drop. Built entirely around the acoustics of the performer, the modern and refined look of the theater is in direct contrast to the performer, who is wearing traditional Malian clothing.

Salif Keita, an internationally-praised singer, performed at the MIM stage on Sept. 10. Born in a small village in Mali and growing up rejected from his peers because of his albinism, Keita has emerged as one of the most melodic voices in the world.

Picking up influences from Spain, Mali, Cuba and South America, Keita’s music has a largely Islamic influence that is backed up by instruments that are traditional among those in his homeland, such as djembe drums and koras, as well as more well-known instruments like the saxophone.

Performing an original composition, "Mandjou," in honor of then-president of Guinea Sékou Touré and the Malian people, Keita’s voice was amplified tenfold by the acoustics of the theater. Fast, upbeat, and lighthearted (while preserving his country’s traditional sound), Keita immersed himself into the music. Eyes closed and mouth open wide, he had the audience on their feet at the end for an encore.

Notorious for being humble and generous, Keita’s warm smile and shining eyes radiated from the stage, even when it faded to black.

Reach the reporter at kvedanta@asu.edu or follow her on Twitter @keerthivedantam

×