Tempe Police: Man 'trippin' on meth he bought at liquor store

Tempe Police reported the following incidents Wednesday:

• A 40-year-old Phoenix man was arrested on the 1900 block of East Apache Boulevard on suspicion of possession of a dangerous drug and possession of drug paraphernalia, according to a police report.The man was contacted in an apartment complex as he was walking away from a room where there was already an investigation, police reported.

When the man was contacted by police the officer asked how he was doing and the man said, "I'm trippin'," and he was very fidgety and could not stop moving his hands, according to the report.

The man was asked by police how much methamphetamine he had on him at the moment and the man said, "It could be a little or more than a little. I don't really know," police reported.

The man was asked what pocket he had put the methamphetamine in, and the man said, "It should be up front in a baggy. You can grab it," according to the report.

The man was searched and the methamphetamine was located in the left front pants pocket, police reported.

Several baggies inside of a larger baggie were found and the larger baggie contained several empty dime baggies and five dime baggies with meth inside, according to the report.

The man told officers he had used methamphetamine for several years and admitted that he is addicted to meth, according to the report.

The man first said he found the baggies of methamphetamine by a dumpster but then said he had purchased the five baggies of meth for $50 from a man at a liquor store down the street, police reported.

The man was arrested and transported to Tempe City Jail, where he was booked and released, according to the report.

• A 43-year-old Tempe man was arrested on the 3000 block of South Rural Road on suspicion of marijuana possession, narcotic possession and drug paraphernalia possession, according to a police report.The man, along with a female driver, was contacted by police during a traffic stop, police reported.

A records check revealed the woman had an outstanding warrant with the city of Mesa and was driving on a suspended license, according to the report.

After the woman was placed under arrest, the man was asked to exit the vehicle and the man said he did not have any weapons or drugs on his person and agreed to a search, police reported.

During the search a black cylinder shaped plastic container fell from the inside of the man's shorts and landed on the floor, according to the report.

The man was then detained and inside the container a usable amount of methamphetamine, heroin and a clean Q-tip were found, police reported.

The man told officers he did not know what was inside the container and did not know where it came from, according to the report.

During a search of the vehicle a usable amount of marijuana was located between the passenger seat and the center console in a clear plastic bag, police reported.

The man said he did not know there was marijuana in the vehicle and said it was not his and did not believe it belonged to the woman, according to the report.

The man was arrested and transported to Tempe City Jail, where he was booked and released, police reported.

Reports compiled by Joey Hancock

Reach the reporter at jshanco2@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @joey_hancock

Like The State Press on Facebook and follow @statepress on Twitter.

Correction: Because of an editing error, an earlier version of this story published with an inaccurate headline and excerpt. It's been updated.

×