Top 5 authentic Chinese restaurants in the Valley

The egg drop soup at Henry's Taiwan Kitchen on  Sept. 8, 2014.

The egg drop soup at Henry's Taiwan Kitchen on Sept. 8, 2014.

Chef Andy Min serves egg drop soup at Henry's Taiwan Kitchen on Sept. 8, 2014. (Photo by Emily Johnson) Chef Andy Min serves egg drop soup at Henry's Taiwan Kitchen on Sept. 8, 2014. (Photo by Emily Johnson)

Have you ever wondered what authentic Chinese food really tastes like? For those who have never been to China, Taiwan or Hong Kong, here are five Chinese restaurants that could give you an idea of authentic Chinese food.

The egg drop soup at Henry's Taiwan Kitchen on  Sept. 8, 2014. (Photo by Emily Johnson) The egg drop soup at Henry's Taiwan Kitchen on Sept. 8, 2014. (Photo by Emily Johnson)

Henry’s Taiwan Kitchen

Henry, the owner and chef of Henry’s Taiwan Kitchen, decided to bring authentic Taiwanese cuisine to Tempe in 2013 as one of two branches. At Henry’s Taiwan Kitchen, one would be able to experience the flavor of a Dutch, Japanese and mainland Chinese-influenced cuisine. Some popular dishes are the three-cup chicken, the minced pork rice and the beef noodle soup.

If you want something off the beaten path, this is the place for you.

Address: 119 E. Southern Ave., Tempe, AZ 85282

Phone: 480-968-2281

Hours: Monday – Sunday 11 a.m. to 9 p.m.

Website: http://www.henrystaiwankitchen.com

Asian Café Express

This is a Hong Kong-style restaurant that serves a combination of authentic Chinese, Southeast Asia and Western influenced Chinese cuisines. Asian Café Express attempts to bring the Char Chaan Teng (a Hong Kong style café) experience to Arizona. It features more than 300 selections, so you're bound to discover your favorite dish or drink. Not to mention, the prices are very reasonable, and you won’t have to spend a fortune for a good plate of Chow Mein.

If you drop by Asian Café Express, be sure to try its specialty drinks – iced red bean and Hong Kong style coffee and milk tea.

Address: 1911 W. Main St. #3, Mesa, AZ 85201

Phone: 480-668-5910

Hours: Monday – Thursday & Sunday 11 a.m. to 9 p.m.

Friday & Saturday 11a.m. to 9:30 p.m.

Website: http://www.asiancafeexpress.com

Szechwan Garden

Get ready for a numbed tongue! Authentic Szechuan cuisine uses many spices (I mean a lot) — everything from pepper corn, hot chili peppers and garlic. Szechwan Garden offer dishes that you won’t find in any other ordinary Chinese restaurants. Most dishes are very aromatic and spicy, some of which are the water boiled fish (fish fillet with hot chili pepper) and the Tong Qing spicy chicken.

Be sure to bring a handkerchief or something to dry your sweat if you wish to partake in the spice adventure.

Address: 5055 W. Ray Road, Chandler, AZ 85226

Phone: 480-718-5088

Hours: Monday - Thursday 11 a.m. to 9 p.m.

Friday & Saturday 11 a.m. to 10 p.m.

Closed on Sunday

Taiwan Food Express

Taiwan Food Express is a tiny restaurant in Mesa. This little deli is very popular among students, as it serves authentic Taiwanese cuisine and other Asian foods at an affordable price. Living up to its name, Taiwan Food Express focuses on serving its customers quickly. Even so, it makes sure the food and drinks emulate the high standard Chinese food has.

Here, you will find some unique Taiwanese street food as well as traditional Taiwanese food. All at a reasonable price. Many students like going there for boba beverages and single portion dishes.

Address: 66 S Dobson Road, Ste 148, Mesa, AZ 85202

Phone: 480-668-9888

Phoenix Palace

Dim Sum, anyone? This is the place to be. Phoenix Palace is one of the bigger Chinese restaurants in the Valley. Serving authentic Chinese and Mandarin food, the restaurant focuses on the traditional Hong Kong way of eating — Dim Sum. The small portions enable patrons to try a variety of dishes.

To all Dim Sum lovers, Phoenix Palace is a great place to gather with friends and family over tasty food and hot, steamy Chinese tea.

Phoenix Palace

Address: 2075 N Dobson Road, Chandler, AZ 85224

Phone: 480-855-4047

Hours: Monday – Sunday 10 a.m. to 11 p.m.

Website: http://www.phoenixpalacechandler.com

Reach the reporter at jmoo1@asu.edu or follow her on Twitter @moojuliet

×