Approval of new skyscraper downtown puts Phoenix one step closer to an urban paradise

With the approval of the “Central Station” project, downtown Phoenix is one step closer to getting the skyline it deserves.

A recent vote by city councilors approved a Chicago-based developer to lead the project and build what is going to be the tallest residential building in town. The building, which will be located at Central Avenue and Van Buren Street, will be incorporated into the already existing Central Station.

Affordable housing in downtown Phoenix is scarce. The goal of this building is to provide relatively low-cost housing, with rent ranging from $800-$1,600 to accommodate the needs of both students and professionals.

This $82 million dollar project is expected to begin development late next year and should be completed by 2017.

Before locals start naming off the list of things that they think this money could be better used toward, hear me out. Building a skyscraper in downtown Phoenix is a baby step — an admittedly expensive baby step, but one with definite long-term potential.

Coming to Arizona as an out-of-state student, I will admit that I was a bit shocked by the lack of evening activities in downtown Phoenix. During the day, it is a bustling business city, but once the clock hits 5 p.m., it’s like someone flicked the city off with a switch. Phoenix is a beautiful city — the architecture, the coffee shops, the restaurants. It’s just missing a crowd that consistently visits these places.

Part of this reason is that not many people can afford to live there. With rent lower in Tempe, students tend to find housing there and just commute each day. This is where nightlife in downtown Phoenix takes a toll.

The addition of more affordable apartments downtown will help make Phoenix more than just a daytime destination. New apartments will be the first step, and then other things will begin to accommodate accordingly. This could mean more grocery stores, more parks, or anything else that will continue contributing to the development of Phoenix as a residential location, not just a commuter destination.

Still not convinced? Think back to Roosevelt Row prior to undergoing the development process that transformed it from boarded-up buildings and crack houses to art studios and gallery space. This area gradually transformed into a nationally known art and cultural events hub in the urban core of downtown.

Passion for the arts catalyzed the transformation of Roosevelt Row and other things began falling into place after that. Crime rates dropped and more people from around the Phoenix-Metro area began moving into the area to experience the cultural vibrancy that it offered.

The Central Station project has the potential to attract even more people downtown. Downtown Phoenix has the potential to become a beautiful, vibrant, residential city. We just need to provide more options for people to experience it.

This project is meant to do more than just make the skyline look pretty. It’s going to assist downtown Phoenix in transforming into the urbanized paradise in the sun that it is capable of becoming — a bustling city by day and night.

Any “Field of Dreams” fans out there? “If you build it, they will come.” Once we have the right systems in place, the rest will come.

Reach the columnist at ralynch3@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @ryguy916

×