ASU Alumni to be honored at Hall of Fame induction ceremony

(Left to right) Chuck Robel, Leonard Berry and Brian Gentile will be inducted into W.P. Carey School of Business's Hall of Fame. (Photos Courtesy of W. P. Carey School of Business)

(Left to right) Chuck Robel, Leonard Berry and Brian Gentile will be inducted into W.P. Carey School of Business's Hall of Fame. (Photos Courtesy of W. P. Carey School of Business) (Left to right) Chuck Robel, Leonard Berry and Brian Gentile will be inducted into the W.P. Carey School of Business Homecoming Hall of Fame. (Photos Courtesy of W. P. Carey School of Business)

Three ASU alumni will be inducted Thursday into the W. P. Carey School of Business Homecoming Hall of Fame, which highlights alumni who have made great strides in business.

Texas A&M; Professor Leonard L. Berry, tech executive Brian Gentile and GoDaddy Board of Directors member Chuck Robel will all be inducted for their accomplishments on Thursday, Oct. 23 at the McCord Hall Plaza.

Some notable past inductees were members of the Arizona Diamondbacks, Motorola and Wells Fargo bank.

“It’s really a thrill for me to be recognized by my alumni,” Berry said.

Berry graduated with his doctorate from the University in 1968. He is a notable author with 10 published works and considerable contributions to the field of health care. Berry has been honored multiple times at Texas A&M;, including the Distinguished Achievement Award in Teaching in 1990 and the Distinguished Achievement Award in Research in 1996 and 1998.

He as also received an Outstanding Marketing Educator Award from the Academy of Marketing Science at Texas A&M; and the Paul D. Converse Award from the American Marketing Association.

Barry said his wife will be joining him at the ceremonial dinner and that he was very grateful to be named an inductee.

“I was surprised,” Berry said. “Pleased, but surprised.”

Gentile will also be inducted into the hall of fame. He earned his MBA at ASU in 1992 and worked for many companies like Apple and Sun Microsystems, which is now part of Oracle.

Gentile is the CEO of Jaspersoft, a company that works with large businesses to help manage data and analytics.

Robel was chairman of the board for McAfee, a computer security software company, before they were sold to Intel for around $7.6 billion. Robel was involved with more than 80 initial public offerings.

Development Officer Elaine Armfield at the W. P. Carey School of Business is helping to coordinate the induction ceremony. Armfield said there has been a lot of preparation put into the award ceremony over the last year.

“We hope to celebrate these fabulous inductees,” Armfield said. “Recognizing their accomplishments is our No. 1 goal.”

Armfield said there will be some students at the event, but most of the attendees will be alumni.

The event will take place at the McCord Hall, the newest building at the business school. Manager of Alumni Relations Theresa DeLaere said it would be first time the event will be on campus.

“It’s really nice to host it at McCord Hall, on our grounds,” DeLaere said. “It makes the event more meaningful when you’re surrounded by the buildings, where all the magic happens developing successful business leaders in the community.”

Reach the reporter at jwilli62@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @JonWilliams_23

Like The State Press on Facebook and follow @statepress on Twitter

×