ASU Art Museum receives grant to support residency program

The ASU Art Museum received a $144,000 grant that they will reportedly use to fund three international artists who will collaborate on projects together. The ASU Art Museum is located on S Myrtle Ave and W 10th St at the Tempe campus. (Photo by Ryan Liu)

The ASU Art Museum received a $144,000 grant that they will reportedly use to fund three international artists who will collaborate on projects together. The ASU Art Museum is located on S Myrtle Ave and W 10th St at the Tempe campus. (Photo by Ryan Liu) The ASU Art Museum received a $144,000 grant that they will reportedly use to fund three international artists who will collaborate on projects together. The ASU Art Museum is located on S Myrtle Ave and W 10th St at the Tempe campus. (Photo by Ryan Liu)

The ASU Art Museum received a $144,000 grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services, which it will use to commission three international artists to collaborate on projects and involve the community in the creation process.

Art Museum Director Gordon Knox said he is very appreciative of the grant and how it speaks to the quality reputation of the museum.

“IMLS only supports museums and libraries of the highest caliber,” he said. “To be given a grant of this scale is a true confirmation of our tremendous work at this museum.”

He also said he is proud of how far the museum has come in such a short period of time.

“In the short span of three years, we have established a great reputation,” Knox said. “The fact that we’re now able to invite instrumental artists who will engage the community is a true statement of our hard work.”

He said the residency program is one of many museum advancements he is pushing since he took over as director.

“We are really aiming to reach out across all campuses and develop programs, promote social change, and connect to our local community,” he said.

Knox credited Greg Esser, who runs the art museum’s residency program, for helping with the grant application.

“His fantastic leadership polished the program into what it is today,” Knox said.

Esser said while the process of commissioning the artists was very challenging and time consuming, it was very rewarding in the end.

“The best part is working with the artists and helping them advance their projects and careers,” he said.

Esser said although the specific artists for the program have not been confirmed yet, he knew he was looking for socially engaged artists.

“Their ideas will evolve between the time they think of them and the time they arrive in Phoenix, so they will come up with something we’ll never imagine,” he said.

Development coordinator of the University Art Museum Rossitza Todorova said she is very excited about the museum receiving the grant and the opportunities it presents.

“This grant recognizes the work of our residency program,” she said. “We are thrilled their funding will allow us to bring in new Artists-in-Residence who will develop projects and programs in collaboration with different sections of our community."

CORRECTION: Due to a reporting error, a previous version incorrectly stated Rossita Todorova's position with the University Art Museum. This version has been updated with the correct title.

Reach the reporter at Justin.Toscano@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @justintoscano3

×