ASU hockey's #GianniHockey: Getting to know Gianni Mangone

ASU Hockey vs Westchester, Sept. 27 2014
Freshman defender Gianni Mangone takes a shot against West Chester University on Sept. 27 at Oceanside Ice Arena in Tempe. ASU defeated West Chester 9-0. (Photo by Ben Moffat)

Freshman defender Gianni Mangone takes a shot against West Chester University on Sept. 27 at Oceanside Ice Arena in Tempe. ASU defeated West Chester 9-0. (Photo by Ben Moffat) Freshman defender Gianni Mangone takes a shot against West Chester University on
Sept. 27 at Oceanside Ice Arena in Tempe. ASU defeated West Chester 9-0. (Photo by Ben Moffat)

They're talented. They're undersized. They have great nicknames.

Such are the similarities between former Heisman trophy winner Johnny Manziel, dubbed "Johnny Football" during his collegiate career at Texas A&M;, and the next great college sports nickname: ASU hockey's freshman defenseman Gianni Mangone, a.k.a. "Gianni Hockey."

Mangone has taken well to the new moniker, popularized by beat reporters and media during ASU's opening weekend sweep against No. 20 Niagara.

"The nickname is kinda cool and I've definitely never heard it before," Mangone said. "A lot of guys on the team joke about it, and coach seems to be using it often in lineup names, so I don't mind it at all."

As for Manziel's signature flashing of the money sign after scoring, however, Mangone is not so sure.

"I'm not sure if I'll do the money sign, but I guess we will have to see depending in the situation," he said with a chuckle.

The defenseman from has always had a passion for hockey. He'd even lace up his skates in the summer as a kid living in Calgary, Alberta.

"When I was really young, I just loved being able to make friends and do something with my dad," he said. "Once I really started playing hockey at higher levels, I loved the competitiveness and speed of the game. All I ever wanted to do was play hockey. Regardless if it was summer, I was playing somewhere."

As a kid watching hockey, Mangone idolized some of the NHL's all-time greats, including former Boston Bruins defenseman Bobby Orr. Orr is widely considered to be the greatest attacking defender of all time, but like Mangone, he lacked the ideal size for the position.

"Growing up, I loved watching players like Paul Kariya, Bobby Orr and Theoren Fleury," Mangone said. "Being a smaller player, watching these guys compete and be dominant was something I always thought about. And (I) try to play like Bobby Orr as much as possible. How good he was at jumping into the play but not compromising his defensive responsibilities was really impressive."

Like Manziel, Mangone has emerged as a potential star for the Sun Devils despite being a freshman. Through his first six games, he already has six points (three goals, three assists), becoming a key force on the power play with two goals in odd-man opportunities.

Mangone credits a large part of his success to the great chemistry he has not only with his fellow freshmen and blue-liners, but with the team as a whole.

"The camaraderie between not only the freshmen and the blue-liners but the whole team is pretty unique," he said. "I've never been on the team where everyone gets along and enjoys everyone's company but still pushes each other to do better in hockey and school. It's a pretty special thing to be a part of."

That atmosphere, along with the ASU program's recent success, played into Mangone's decision to play hockey in the desert after growing up in Canada.

"Knowing ASU won a national title while deciding to come here or not was another selling point, knowing how good the hockey was and how many skilled and good players were here," said Mangone. "It showed that this school has high-level hockey and takes it very seriously."

Playing for the Whitecourt Wolverines of the AJHL last season, Mangone starred as an attacking blue-liner with 37 points (16 goals, 21 assists) through 48 games. Making the move to the ACHA meant a new role for Mangone.

"I just hope to be able to contribute to the team in any way possible, if that means putting up some numbers on offense or blocking shots in the defensive zone I'm happy to do either," he said. "During the summer, I really wanted to focus on my defensive zone abilities so I could become a more two-way player. I've had success being a offensive player, but I really wanted to focus on being better in the defensive zone and helping out defensively."

The rise of players such as Mangone will be vital for the defending national champions as they try to repeat.

"I believe our team will be able to follow up with last year's success because of the talent, drive and heart within the room to want to succeed and be better," Mangone said. "A lot of players bring a unique attribute to the team and it all adds up to our success, not to mention Coach (Greg) Powers and the entire coaching staff who contribute just as much as each player."

Despite owning one of the most powerful slapshots in the ACHA (showcasing it in his first two goals), Mangone still might not have as hard a shot as junior defenseman Connor Schmidt and fellow freshman defenseman Ed McGovern. As far as Mangone's concerned, there is no competition.

"This one is easy, without a doubt Ed McGovern," he said. "His shot is scary to stand in front of to say the least."

Mangone and the Sun Devils will get their first crack at rivals No. 18 UA in the 2014-15 season on Friday at Oceanside Ice Arena in Tempe. ASU also will raise its 2013 ACHA national championship banner prior to Saturday's game against the Wildcats.

Reach the reporter at fardaya@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @fardaya15

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepressport on Twitter.

×