Boos & Bravos: Oct. 2

SPORTS BBN-CARDINALS-DIAMONDBACKS 1 SL
St. Louis Cardinals manager Mike Matheny, facing, embraces pitcher Adam Wainwright shortly after it was announced that the Pittsburgh Pirates lost to the Cincinnati Reds, thereby clinching the National League Central Division title for the Cardinals before their game against the Arizona Diamondbacks on Sunday, Sept. 28, 2014, at Chase Field in Phoenix. (Chris Lee/St. Louis Post-Dispatch/MCT)

Children take an interest in pro-democracy protest literature at the protest site in Causeway Bay in Hong Kong, China on Oct. 2, 2014. (Photo Courtesy of Chris Stowers/McClatchy/MCT) Children take an interest in pro-democracy protest literature at the protest site in Causeway Bay in Hong Kong, China on Oct. 2, 2014. (Photo Courtesy of Chris Stowers/McClatchy/MCT)

Bravo to Hong Kong demonstrators who are taking a stand for democracy by protesting outside of the chief executive's office. The peaceful protest is in support of universal suffrage and no restrictions on who can run for political office.

Boo to Adam Sandler for reminding us why we really don't need any more Adam Sandler movies. The world's oldest preteen boy signed a four-movie deal with Netflix "for one reason and one reason only. ... Netflix rhymes with Wet Chicks." Misogyny and bad movies? We'll pass.

(Photo Courtesy of Warner Bros. Television) (Photo Courtesy of Warner Bros. Television)

Bravo to "Gilmore Girls" finally streaming on Netflix. Paris Geller, you're our spirit animal.

Boo to the revelation that hackers accessed personal information of 76 million household and seven million small business customers of JPMorgan Chase.

Booravo to the NFL Draft officially moving from New York to Chicago for 2015. The new locale will be an exciting change but fans will also miss the iconic Radio City Music Hall.

St. Louis Cardinals manager Mike Matheny, facing, embraces pitcher Adam Wainwright shortly after it was announced that the Pittsburgh Pirates lost to the Cincinnati Reds, thereby clinching the National League Central Division title for the Cardinals before their game against the Arizona Diamondbacks on Sunday, Sept. 28, 2014, at Chase Field in Phoenix. (Photo Courtesy of Chris Lee/St. Louis Post-Dispatch/MCT) St. Louis Cardinals manager Mike Matheny, facing, embraces pitcher Adam Wainwright shortly after it was announced that the Pittsburgh Pirates lost to the Cincinnati Reds, thereby clinching the National League Central Division title for the Cardinals before their game against the Arizona Diamondbacks on Sunday, Sept. 28, 2014, at Chase Field in Phoenix. (Photo Courtesy of Chris Lee/St. Louis Post-Dispatch/MCT)

Bravo to St. Louis Mayor Francis Slay. Earlier this week, the Wall Street Journal published a playoff baseball hateability index that pegged the Redbirds as the most hateable team. Slay, in a friendly response column, pointed out that St. Louis isn't just home to the National League's winningest franchise, it also produced Jon Hamm and invented iced tea. Way to stick up for your city, Mr. Slay.

Boo to Maroon 5. Their recent music video for their hit single “Animals” is overtly violent and disrespectful to women.

Bravo to the resignation of Secret Service Director, Janet Pierson. President Barack Obama was in an elevator with an armed man in Atlanta, and nobody was informed of this. Yeesh

Boo to yet another potential change in majority ownership of the Phoenix Coyotes. The already fragile state of hockey in the Valley won't be helped by Philadelphia attorney, Andrew Barroway's purchase.

(Logo Courtesy of Facebook) (Logo Courtesy of Facebook)

Bravo to Facebook for allowing the use of non-legal names. Drag performers, who made a ruckus in San Francisco to protest the banning of their drag names in lieu of their real names, won the day. As they say in the drag world, "Hallelu, child."

Dr. Kent Brantly stands with his wife Amber and makes a statement at Emory University Hospital in Atlanta following his discharge from the facility on Thursday, Aug. 21, 2014, after being successfully treated for Ebola. American missionary Nancy Writebol was also treated and was discharged Tuesday. (Photo Courtesy of John Spink/Atlanta Journal-Constitution/MCT) Dr. Kent Brantly stands with his wife Amber and makes a statement at Emory University Hospital in Atlanta following his discharge from the facility on Thursday, Aug. 21, 2014, after being successfully treated for Ebola. American missionary Nancy Writebol was also treated and was discharged Tuesday. (Photo Courtesy of John Spink/Atlanta Journal-Constitution/MCT)

Boo to the first case of Ebola being diagnosed in the U.S. Liberian national Thomas Eric Duncan was diagnosed with the deadly virus in a Dallas hospital.

Want to join the conversation? Send an email to opiniondesk.statepress@gmail.com. and include your University affiliation. Requests for anonymity will not be granted.

×