Boos & Bravos: Oct. 23

US NEWS BORDER-RANCHER 3 LA
A U.S./Border Patrol jeep drives slowly along a dirt road between the steel U.S./Mexico border fence and rancher Bob Maupin's makeshift chain link and razor wire barrier, May 27, 2010, in Tierra del Sol, California. Until the official fence was erected and patrols were increased here, about 65 miles east of San Diego, Maupin's property was a popular route for northbound illegal immigrants and drug smugglers. (Don Bartletti/Los Angeles Times/MCT)

(Photo Courtesy of Marvel Studios) (Photo Courtesy of Marvel Studios)

Bravo to Marvel for releasing the first official trailer for "Avengers: Age of Ultron." The heavily anticipated sequel to the third-highest grossing movie of all time will feature broken shields, killer robots and an Iron Man/Hulk face-off. What’s not to love?

Boo to the NCAA Playoff Committee's announcement that Archie Manning's absence due to medical leave will not be replaced. Twelve members instead of 13 could lead to a host of issues.

Bravo to the Arizona Interscholastic Association for approving the first transgender athlete to play a sport at the high school level in the state. The association won't reveal the student-athlete's name, school, sex or sport to protect their privacy, but it's welcome progress.

Boo to Taylor Swift's "Track 3" rising to the top of Canadian iTunes' charts. The $1.29 track, which is only eight seconds of static and has been removed from iTunes, is an example of Taylor Swift mania gone too far. If anything, the short-lived incident shows the world is a Don DeLillo novel, and we're all just living in it.

The ASU Police Department headquarters is seen in Tempe on Tuesday, Sept. 30, 2014. The department is under criticism for acquiring 70 M-16 assault rifles through a Pentagon surplus program. (Photo by Ben Moffat) The ASU Police Department headquarters is seen in Tempe on Tuesday, Sept. 30, 2014. The department is under criticism for acquiring 70 M-16 assault rifles through a Pentagon surplus program. (Photo by Ben Moffat)

Bravo to the rookie ASU police officer who used an AED to save the life of a student who collapsed on a sand volleyball court at Palo Verde.

Boo to people who posted actress and geek icon Felicia Day’s address and other personal information online after she posted about "Gamergate" on her Tumblr page. In the post, Day said she has been afraid to comment about the recent anti-feminist movement for fear of retaliation. The comment containing her personal information has since been deleted.

A U.S./Border Patrol jeep drives slowly along a dirt road between the steel U.S./Mexico border fence and rancher Bob Maupin's makeshift chain link and razor wire barrier, in Tierra del Sol, Calif. (Photo Courtesy of MCT) A U.S./Border Patrol jeep drives slowly along a dirt road between the steel U.S./Mexico border fence and rancher Bob Maupin's makeshift chain link and razor wire barrier, in Tierra del Sol, Calif. (Photo Courtesy of MCT)

Bravo to the report that shows that border-crossing deaths at the U.S.-Mexico border have hit a 15-year low. This report makes it the first time in 13 years that the deadliest border-crossing location has not been in Arizona.

Boo to Michigan governor Rick Snyder for signing General Motors-backed anti-Tesla legislation into law without a vote or public discussion. A last-minute amendment added by Republican State Sen. Joe Hune in Michigan House Bill 5606 prevents automakers from selling cars without a franchise-dealership network, something that a niche automaker like Tesla does not have. It goes to show that Detroit automakers still have a heavy influence on politics and continue to stifle competition in the market.

Bravo to Reynolds American (a giant tobacco firm responsible for the manufacture of Pall Mall) for banning smoking indoors. It's ironic, but a step in the right direction.

Boo to the University of North Carolina for widespread academic fraud. From 1993 to 2011, about 3,100 students, more than half of whom were athletes, took phony African & Afro-American "paper classes." The primary purpose of these classes was to ensure athletes received a good grade to remain eligible.

Like The State Press on Facebook and follow @statepress on Twitter

×