(Photo Illustration by Emily Johnson) (Photo Illustration by Emily Johnson)

Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas parties are quickly approaching, leaving hosts and guests responsible to answer a classic and complicated question: What drink should I bring?

Liqueurs, like Kahlúa, Baileys Irish Cream and Godiva are often used as mixers in more complex cocktails, adding flavor and texture. In fact, “A liqueur is a sweet distilled spirit with sugar contents starting at 2.5 percent,” according to About.com. Liqueurs come in a large variety of offerings, making the holiday season a specifically fun time to pick up a festive flavor.

Liqueurs make perfect additions to hot chocolates and coffees, or can be combined into seasonal martinis and shots ideal for holiday gatherings. You can show off your bartending skills by starting with these popular, fall-inspired liqueurs.

Kahlúa

Kahlúa, a popular brand of coffee liqueur, offers a number of seasonal specials, including peppermint mocha and pumpkin spice. In bars and restaurants, Kahlúa is a popular liqueur, featured in drinks like White Russians, Black Russians and Colorado Bulldogs. Here are a few recipes featuring Kahlúa that are excellent offerings for holiday parties.

The Chocolate Great Pumpkin

While watching the Halloween childhood classic “It’s The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown,” get your classy drink on with this sweet, simple cocktail. Simply add 1 1/2 ounces of Kahlúa Pumpkin Spice to 1 1/2 ounces chocolate liqueur and 1/2 ounce half and half over ice.

Baileys Irish Cream

This popular brand of Irish Cream liqueur is the king of coffee cocktails, but can be poured over ice for a smooth, sweet treat. Coming in seasonal varieties such as Chocolate Cherry and Vanilla Cinnamon, classic flavors can also be used to create fall-inspired drinks.

Caramel Apple Martini

Drinking this apple-infused martini is like bobbing for apples, without the unnecessary amount of bacteria swapping. This martini requires 1 ounce of Baileys Caramel Irish Cream Liqueur, 1 ounce of green apple flavored vodka and 1/2 ounce Sweet and Sour. Shake the Baileys Caramel Irish Cream Liqueur, vodka and sweet and sour and strain into a martini glass drizzled with caramel sauce.

Snickerdoodle Coffee

While Snickerdoodles may not be considered a fall delicacy exclusively, the combination of vanilla and cinnamon is definitely reminiscent of fireplaces and Christmas songs. Sometimes, adding caffeine into the mix can help tired party-goers keep up the strength to get to the last round of the White Elephant gift exchange. Just add 1 1/2 ounces of Baileys Vanilla Cinnamon Liqueur into a cup of coffee for a sweet and cinnamon cup of joe. For added presentation points, add a dab of whipped cream and sprinkle with cinnamon.

Godiva

Godiva chocolate is awesome, but spiked liquid Godiva chocolate is even better. Godiva has created a line of chocolate-flavored liqueurs that can make any drink indulgent and satisfying. With flavors like Caramel, White Chocolate, Dark Chocolate and Milk Chocolate, even beginning beverage creators can come up with a few cocktails to try out.

Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream

Chocolate and peppermint are two of the best things about sweater weather season. This take on the ice cream classic is perfect for cocktail beginners. Mix 1 1/2 ounces of Godiva Milk Chocolate Liqueur with 1 ounce crème de menthe and 1 ounce and 1/2 ounce half and half. Top with whipped cream and chocolate chips if you are feeling extra fancy.

Black and White

Just like the famous cookie, this drink is sophisticated and simple. Just add 1 1/2 ounces of Godiva White Chocolate Liqueur to hot chocolate for a complex chocolate indulgence. If you want a little bit of a caffeine buzz, add some coffee or a shot of espresso. For a fun presentation, add some marshmallows, whipped cream and a drizzle of chocolate syrup.

Impress and inebriate your fellow party pals with these fall- and winter-inspired cocktails, or give one of these liqueurs as a gift this holiday season. These liqueurs can improve your bartender prowess and make the holiday season a little more festive.

While it is fairly simple to pick out a favored beer or bottle of wine, if you want to spice up your party or BYOB situation there are a number of options that might delight and surprise even the most skeptical cocktail connoisseur, with the help of liqueurs like Kahlúa, Baileys Irish Cream and Godiva.

Reach the reporter at Samantha.Shotzbarger@asu.edu or follow her on Twitter @SShotzbarger

×