Phoenix police, protestors clash in downtown Phoenix

Police apprehend a protestor on Saturday night at Washington and First Street during the Downtown Zombie Walk on Saturday, Oct. 25, 2014.Wearing a pig mask, several police officers subdue the protestor. (Photo by Jonathan Williams)

Police apprehend a protestor on Saturday night at Washington and First Street during the Downtown Zombie Walk on Saturday, Oct. 25, 2014. Several police officers subdue the protestors wearing masks. (Photo by Jonathan Williams) Police apprehend a protestor on Saturday night at Washington and First Street during the Downtown Zombie Walk on Saturday, Oct. 25, 2014. Several police officers subdue the protestors wearing masks. (Photo by Jonathan Williams)

What began as a peaceful protest against police brutality escalated on a busy Saturday night in downtown Phoenix after officers clashed with demonstrators.

The march started peacefully around 8:30 p.m. at Civic Space Park between Central and First Avenue on Van Buren Street.

Phoenix Police Spokesperson Sgt. Jonathan Howard said police attempted to block the demonstrators at Washington and First streets. However, when protesters began crossing illegally, standing in the intersection and throwing flags at officers, police tackled and arrested several protesters.

A police officer dressed in tactical gear fired pepper balls from a paintball gun while the mob fled into CityScape.

Howard said protesters have their rights to speak, as long as they obey the laws.

“When (the protest) becomes disruptive, we have a duty to step in and protect everyone's rights,” Howard said.

Howard said the demonstrators taken into custody were arrested on suspicion of obstructing a public thoroughfare and failing to obey a police officer.

The event was inspired by the Day of Protest To Stop Police Brutality, Repression and The Criminalization Of A Generation Coalition, which calls for groups to battle the issue of police brutality every year on Oct. 22. In 1996, a few organizations met and decided there was a need for national recognition of police brutality.

This particular protest was organized on Facebook by Wave of Action PHX.

There were no injuries reported, Howard said.

Reach the reporter at jwilli62@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @JonWilliams_23

Like The State Press on Facebook and follow @statepress on Twitter

×