Sinema, Rogers, Gammill rely on ASU students in 9th Congressional District election

Arizona PBS mediator Ted Simons, center, conducts a debate between 9th district congressional candidates Powell Gammill, left, and Kyrsten Sinema, Oct. 20. (Photo by Andrew Ybanez)

Arizona PBS mediator Ted Simons, center, conducts a debate between 9th district congressional candidates Powell Gammill, left, and Kyrsten Sinema, Oct. 20. (Photo by Tynin Fries) Arizona PBS mediator Ted Simons, center, conducts a debate between 9th district congressional candidates Powell Gammill, left, and Kyrsten Sinema, Oct. 20. (Photo by Tynin Fries)

Studies show that Arizona's 9th Congressional District, which includes ASU's Tempe campus, is one of four districts in the country in which youth voters have a pivotal role in the outcome of the election, and young voters are being called on vote and have their views represented.

Center for Information and Research on Civic Learning & Engagement's research shows that 23 percent of the 9th Congressional District's population comprises people between the ages of 18 and 29.

Republican candidate Wendy Rogers and Libertarian write-in candidate Powell Gammill face incumbent Democrat Kyrsten Sinema in the race to win over the youth vote.

While both Rogers and Sinema said it is important for young people to vote, Gammill said voting is a scam that gives voters the illusion they have a say in votes’ outcomes.

Rogers said in an email that she believes the economy and national debt are the most concerning to youth voters, and these issues make it difficult for college graduates to find jobs.

“The free market must become less encumbered by government to enable more college graduates to get jobs,” Rogers said. “We must remove regulatory burdens to economic growth and have an adult conversation to get the national debt under control.”

Although Rogers said she believes American universities provide high-quality education, this education must be made more affordable to the average American, and she encourages students to pursue degrees in high-demand fields.

“There is still more we can do to improve educational quality, especially in the STEM fields,” Rogers said.

Sinema said in an email that most young voters are concerned with jobs and the economy, and many who are investing in a college education are afraid of being unable to find a job after graduation.

“I'm working to ensure that everyone has access to the resources and opportunities needed to succeed,” Sinema said. “That’s why I've launched an effort called Drop That Debt, and introduced legislation to fix the student loan debt situation many students are facing.”

Sinema said she supports efforts to prepare students in the K-12 system for college and believes all students should graduate from high school ready for college.

“Institutions like ASU that link traditional higher education with real-world work opportunities provide students with the best possible opportunities; however, many Arizona students graduate high school without the skills needed to enter ASU as a freshman,” Sinema said.

Gammill said in an email that the youth voter’s most pressing issue is debt, both personal and government, because most students have accumulated significant debts while in school.

“This is deliberate,” Gammill said. “They can garnish your wages, tax returns and seize your stuff with a no-knock warrant, all with interest, penalties and fees if you fail to pay.”

Gammill said students should be careful in managing their debts.

“For some programs and schools, if you chose wisely something you enjoy doing you will receive an excellent education with a bit of effort, but truthfully, any job is 90 percent learned on that job,” Gammill said.

The three candidates will be considered for the Congressional position at the midterm elections, which will be held Nov. 4.

Biological sciences freshman Amanda Wolf said she believes it is important for young adults to vote, so the elected candidate fully represents the entire voting population.

"I also believe that people shouldn't vote just to vote," Wolf said. "If they are uneducated on each candidate's beliefs and the issues at hand, they should either educate themselves or choose to not vote."

Reach the reporter at ekamezak@asu.edu or follow her on Twitter @emikamezaki

×